Having an issue using a wedgie sled and making a 12 segment 9 inch diameter 4 layer bowl.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lgdowell

I bought a wedgie sled and a pack of plastic wedgies but must be using my sled wrong. I am using a segmented bowl online calculator that I have used before and the wedges fit together well. I am trying to put a 4 layer 12 segment wide 9 inch diameter top ring and 6 inch diameter bottom ring mouth bowl and the wedges do not fit together at all. Any thoughts? The 12 pieces are too big. I don't know if the problem is with the calculations, my measurements, or the sled. I have attached a copy of the calculator. I need to know what is wrong as the result for the bottom layer of alternating walnut and birch is too big And is going to cost me a fortune in wood.

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Attachments

• 8E553733-91EA-4BFB-9BFF-7A2789807EF4.jpeg
    8E553733-91EA-4BFB-9BFF-7A2789807EF4.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 124
  • AD3748D2-3E05-48E5-9C4A-FFD10F00E7DE.jpeg
    AD3748D2-3E05-48E5-9C4A-FFD10F00E7DE.jpeg
    337.2 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

12 segments required 15 degree cuts. From your photo it shows your cuts on segments are not 15 degree. Recheck your sled, table saw or what ever device you are using to cut and make requiered adjustments. Pete Markin makes a sled that is spot on , you might want to check out his sled.

jttheclockman

Agreed it is in the angle. Without seeing your setup you have to be on the right side of your angled fence. There are plenty of his videos on his site that explain the set up of a bought sled or a made sled. I posted those here in another thread not long ago. But easy to find with google.

Dieseldoc

Google Jerry Bennett woodturner and check out the info on Segmentolgy. the basic.
Jerry is a master segmentor and has by far the best info. Also check his stuff out on you tube.
Good luck with you segmenting.

I'm going to assume the wedgies are spot on. That's the first critical item. Even a tiny error (like 1/10 of a degree) will build up and cause an annoying error in a 12 segment ring. The error in the ring pics looks to be rather large, though.
Also suggest you check the sled. The faces on the movable "arms " need to be spot on parallel. If not and you use the outboard arms (the ones the wedgie does NOT register against) there will be an error which will build with each cut.
Assuming also you're using a sled with a runner on a table saw. Make sure there's no slop in the runner/miter slot.
And, yes, check out Jerry Bennett.

Top Bottom