Have you ever built a tree house

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm watching this show about the Tree House Master. My brother, cousin and, myself built three on my Uncles farm back in the day. I always thought it was cool to climb a tree and, hang out in there. My aunt would bring us watermelon & Iced Tea. Our designs and, construction was quite crude but they held up.:biggrin:

I'd like to see some pictures if you have some to share. Sorry, I don't have any.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hard hat

Never built one, but my wife showed me their place before the show ever started. She wanted to get married there, it is about 45 minutes from where she grew up. We have plans to stay there a few nights at some point, kick it in a tree house

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
There is one outrageous house on the beach near Sarasota....maybe Tampa. Neighbors were trying to get it taken out. This was a few months ago. It would be a travesty to take that house down. I'll see if I can find a link to it or some more info.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was going to add to the thread that you cant do that down here, it wont pass building codes and they have forced people to take them down. Tree houses in SW Florida violate zoning codes unless you property is zoned for multi-family. You have to have a permit, submit architectural blue prints with an engineers or architects stamp.. It must meet all codes inculding Hurricane codes for doors windows roofing etc. In fact many of those programs where they refuild the house and live in the garage or add a separate unit in the basement to rent out wont happen here. Our building codes wont allow it.

They will lose by the way. I have seen multi- million dollar houses on the beach that have had to be changed or taken down and rebuilt because they are to close or to tall. They say they had an oral approval... its not worth the paper its written on. Its also not only the county but federal guide lines they have violated.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Eventually they will fine them and if they dont take it down condemn it and do it for them. Then they will attach the fines and demolition costs to the property and if not paid put a lien against it and could eventually force foreclosure on it.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
But back on track Yes I built one with my good friend, at the time I was 15. I worked part time after school and weekends for a house builder and got a lot of scraps and good lumber from him to build it. It was about 6 x 8 x 7ft tall about 12 foot off the ground. Used heavy plastic for light on one side up at the top. It had a strip about 4ft long a foot tall we used the plastic on. I moved away a year later and never knew or cared really what happened to it.

low_48

To answer your question, I helped build one around 1960. No pictures that I know of, and it sure isn't around anymore. In fact, the tree is not there either. The TV show is okay, but to me they loose the idea of a fun little house when they go overboard on everything! Once they add electricity, the charm looks like it's gone to me.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
To answer your question, I helped build one around 1960. No pictures that I know of, and it sure isn't around anymore. In fact, the tree is not there either. The TV show is okay, but to me they loose the idea of a fun little house when they go overboard on everything! Once they add electricity, the charm looks like it's gone to me.
Thanks. In part I have to agree about the show and, adding electricity. But, I think most of those folks have the desire for the adventure compounded with their bank account. Gotta have more. The bigger the better. I'm still impressed with design ideas and, overcoming obstacles. Kind of like pens. :biggrin:

tbroye

I don't know if you could build one in California because of environment laws about harming trees. With the proper permit you might be able to do it without attaching anything to the tree it's self. It would have to supported on piers. When we were kids we built them all the time the would last a year or two and then have to be rebuilt or taken down and a new built. I do enjoy watching the show though.

Top Bottom