Have any other IAP members received an email like this one in the last day or two?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
SCAM.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Appeared to have come from an IAP member. I PM'd the member about it, haven't heard back from him yet. His email was probably hacked and I am curious if any other IAP members who might be listed in his address book have been contacted.

tomtedesco

I got one two days ago from a friend. The wording was not normal in the message so I did not return email. I called him and he was hacked.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Appeared to have come from an IAP member. I PM'd the member about it, haven't heard back from him yet. His email was probably hacked and I am curious if any other IAP members who might be listed in his address book have been contacted.

Yes, I received the first email from a familiar name, but I did not reply. Figured if it was really him, he would give more info on what he wanted as a favor.

magpens

Question for you folks ....

What is a good way to avoid email hacking ? . Would changing password regularly help to prevent it ?

Sorry if I seem ignorant of these things .... I am !!!! . LOL !!

its_virgil

Question for you folks ....

What is a good way to avoid email hacking ? . Would changing password regularly help to prevent it ?

Sorry if I seem ignorant of these things .... I am !!!! . LOL !!
A long random password using letters, numbers, symbols, uppercase, lower case, etc. It is a pain to remember them. I write them in a notebook I keep at my desk.

I wonder if "password saving" by a browser or other application is safe? Comments welcome.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

socdad

I have a long random password using letters, numbers, symbols, uppercase, lower case and change it regularly; the hacked email account everyone is talking about is / was mine. Working on clearing things up however my contact list has been erased ... sadly this is going to take some time ...

walshjp17

[/QUOTE}

I wonder if "password saving" by a browser or other application is safe? Comments welcome.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
[/QUOTE]

Password saving by a browser applet is about s safe as keeping your wallet in your back pocket in the Metro in Paris. I use a password "vault" called LastPass. You only need to remember your master password. Passwords to websites, such as penturners.org are automatically entered when you surf to the site. Needless to say, you need a very strong master password to ensure the safety of your vault. LastPass is used by quite a number of Fortune 500 companies.

monophoto

Security is important, but our son's current situation emphasizes the need to have some kind of 'backdoor'.

Our son is a computer person and is hyper about security. Every password is unique and long - with a selection of upper and lower case, numbers and symbols. He usea password manager to keep track of them, with a master password to access everything.

A couple of months ago he had a stroke, and spent 8 or 9 weeks in hospitals and rehab centers. When he was discharged, he couldn't remember that master password.
Having the master password stored separately would prevent the problem. I have an electronic copy in my phone, and a physical copy in a file on my home office.

Mortalis

I use Dashlane and it will periodically alert me to change my passwords for safety sake. It will also warn me if I am reusing passwords.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a long random password using letters, numbers, symbols, uppercase, lower case and change it regularly; the hacked email account everyone is talking about is / was mine. Working on clearing things up however my contact list has been erased ... sadly this is going to take some time ...

OH me. I have those kind of passwords too. IF they get hacked, I don't know what to do. Last Friday I was in Homedepot and instead of looking something up through the browser on my phone, I decide to download the HD app. Did that and the first thing it asked after giving my login name was ask for my PW which is a mile long. I was tough out of luck. Went back to my browser to look up the item.

I have dozens of looong PWs with the base being foreign words to English with caps scattered out, symbols and numbers also. I cannot remember them. I hate two step authentication but have accepted it for many long-ins.

randyrls

A long random password using letters, numbers, symbols, uppercase, lower case, etc. It is a pain to remember them. I write them in a notebook I keep at my desk.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Yes; There are password managers. In fact there is one built into Firefox. Lastpass is the one I use, but there are others.

Top Bottom