Has the Bash lost enthusiasm?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Maybe it's me but last year was the first bash I seen. It seems that there was a lot of posting last year and talk about it and people ribbing others a little. This year it just doesn't seem like there's much involvement. Most of the bash contest threads are just bare! Opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Maybe people are too busy scratching heads with the puzzles.
I'm sure Edgar could say what the interest is with entrant numbers.

rherrell

I'm noticing a MAJOR drop off in sales, but I think it's because of the new format for VENDOR DISCOUNT forum. I wish they would go back to the old style with a list of all the vendors with individual titles. I've only had 10 orders in two weeks, I usually have about 30 by this time.

TonyL

Rick....I will search high and low to find and buy anything that you make (whether I need it or not :)). That post is getting very long though. Again, I have the patience to look (probably the only think I have patience to look for). Maybe, it is time t make it a little easier to find your awesome products? I referred you to dozens, if not a few hundreds, of penturners on FB (and I don't want to give out your number), I don't think many know how to find you. Some on FB don't know what the IAP is..which suprises me since that belong to a specialty group n FB (at least they say that don't know what the IAP is).

RobS

I'm noticing a MAJOR drop off in sales, but I think it's because of the new format for VENDOR DISCOUNT forum. I wish they would go back to the old style with a list of all the vendors with individual titles. I've only had 10 orders in two weeks, I usually have about 30 by this time.

Rick I'll be placing an order (your tool rest, sander, and mandrels have been fantastic). Love your work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, love your work!!!!

Personally, its been crazy busy this year. I did submit entries :) However, I have not had time to login. Been busy trying to fill orders.

I love this community and have been inspired to always do something more. Thank you for that.

Thank you for the BASH!!

MRDucks2

I know that my participation is down based on my recent move. Last year I was able to moderate one of the contests and took it to heart based or historical research of days gone by.

In putting forth the effort to drive numbers up for a new contest I graciously (and ungraciously) inserted a lot of comments and banter about MY (lol) contest everywhere I could And then some.

It was fun, frustrated a few people, but we had great participation and a large turnout for the vote as well as other contests pushing back in a good natured way.

I have a note to make some vendor orders but did have to dig around to find the discount thread.

jttheclockman

I know that my participation is down based on my recent move. Last year I was able to moderate one of the contests and took it to heart based or historical research of days gone by.

In putting forth the effort to drive numbers up for a new contest I graciously (and ungraciously) inserted a lot of comments and banter about MY (lol) contest everywhere I could And then some.

It was fun, frustrated a few people, but we had great participation and a large turnout for the vote as well as other contests pushing back in a good natured way.

I have a note to make some vendor orders but did have to dig around to find the discount thread.
Still have not forgiven you for that one.:)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Maybe people are too busy scratching heads with the puzzles.
I'm sure Edgar could say what the interest is with entrant numbers.

I'm quite pleased with the puzzle participation. So far, a total of 55 people have submitted an entry to at least one puzzle, and most have made several entries. There isn't nearly as much banter as in previous years, but maybe the puzzles are just too easy this year. ;)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Maybe it's me but last year was the first bash I seen. It seems that there was a lot of posting last year and talk about it and people ribbing others a little. This year it just doesn't seem like there's much involvement. Most of the bash contest threads are just bare! Opinions?

In the past we have usually had at least one contest that was just for fun, with photos being posted as soon as entries were submitted (edible pen, outrageous pen, difficult to write with pen, shop photo, mug photo, etc). Such contests tend to promote banter and ribbing more so than the serious pen contests. We don't have any of those type of contests this year, but perhaps we should consider bringing back one or two next year, or something along those lines.

Ironwood

Maybe a thread, or threads where notable entries from previous Bashes are posted for inspiration and discussion.
This might help fill the void while everyone is waiting for this years entry photos to be posted and voting to start.

magpens

Another idea to stimulate interest might be ....

... People generate ideas - both just before the BASH and during the BASH - of pens they would like to see ....

For example, a pen made with no external metal parts. . Or a pen having a segmented barrel, but excluding any wood.

Just a thought .... such ideas, of course, could come all year round. . There could even be a forum dedicated to the posting of such ideas .... just a collection of incomplete ideas that people think of but don't have time to implement or fully develop themselves. . There is always some creative person out there who might be interested in putting some unusual concepts together and coming up with something novel, once they get the right stimulus.

KenB259

We can certainly find ways to improve visibility of vendors. What would have helped you find Rick?

Well I don't really know. Since I had never ordered anything from him before, I couldn't remember his name, from past posts I had read. One thing that makes a difference , I believe, is I mainly come to IAP through the IAP app, it's a little harder to navigate. So the issue probably is just me. I have found a way to get to the web view through the app, but it is not intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MRDucks2

Still have not forgiven you for that one.:)
It did work though. Kinda makes me think of the old Taco Bell commercials where the big bell fell through the ceilings and such. Some of the most idiotic commercials ever, but you knew every one was for Taco Bell. šŸ˜Š

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Participation in the Freestyle Contest is near non-existent! I'm hoping that there are several works in progress out there that might be finished up this weekend.

Top Bottom