Has anybody used Clearcast epoxy resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Nevermind. I've done more research and there are complaints of it getting a little soft when it gets warm, so it's no good for turning.
I have used a "Clearcast" epoxy but it is made by Barnes in Australia so I can't make any suggestions on the resin you've got over there but so that you know, all Epoxy resins I used so far tend to soften when exposed to heat, I don't think that turning will be your problem but finishing it with friction polish in a hot day for prolonged amounts of time that will do it. Leaving it in the sun on a hot day all day will make the resin "rubbery".

Also, all epoxy resins I used so far have no smell or a little bit that is more noticeable when you open the containers and make the pours, absolutely nothing compared to Polyester that I have 40 litres to use at some time soon, mainly to produce blanks that are not as expensive as those made with the epoxy resin that up here is quite expensive about AU$35.00 per litre.

Cheers
George

Thank you George! I did some more research and yes, it seems it's not uncommon for epoxy resins to soften a bit when they get warm. I'll probably order some and see if it works, worst case scenario is I'm out $35 but have some experience for myself as well as others here.

I'm hoping I don't have a skin reaction like I get with poly and stabilizing resins. I have to completely cover up or I get an eczema type rash that lasts a few days to a month, which limits my turning time to the few cool months each year we have here in the desert.

robutacion

Thank you George! I did some more research and yes, it seems it's not uncommon for epoxy resins to soften a bit when they get warm. I'll probably order some and see if it works, worst case scenario is I'm out $35 but have some experience for myself as well as others here.

I'm hoping I don't have a skin reaction like I get with poly and stabilizing resins. I have to completely cover up or I get an eczema type rash that lasts a few days to a month, which limits my turning time to the few cool months each year we have here in the desert.
G'day Jay,

I wasn't aware of your skin reactions and long-lasting rashes, I believe it is the first time I've heard about skin rash from stabilising resin and I assume you are referring to the Cactus Juice, right...?

I have to ask, do you get any skin rashes from working/turning wood...?

I suggest you decided on the epoxy resin you want to try and mix a small pour (couple of blanks) after cured turning them and see how your skin reacts, there is the risk that you get a reaction but should be a small one due to low volume exposure and until you do this you will never know if you develop allergies to epoxy or not, unfortunately...!

I also wonder what else you are allergic to and if you have seen a doctor about it, there are medications that are preventive therefore they should prevent the allergies to occur (exceptions do apply).

I hope you don't react to Epoxy resin and that you don't become so limited with your time in the work-shop.

Cheers
George

Stabilized woods are the worst for me, and yes I used Cactus Juice. I thought the reaction was just poly resin/ Alumilite and turned some stabilized burls and had the worst reaction yet. So far domestic woods haven't been a problem, but other things like fragrance/essential oils can be, which limits the luxury shave soaps/creams I can use. As for exotic woods, I won't even bother with cocobolo, but I have some E. Indian rosewood and bocote that I'll cover up for. I had weird skin reactions when I was young but have never been tested (blonde/blue/very fair skin). My oldest daughter just got tested on her back and reacted to every single one. Basically she's allergic to the state of Arizona, so I'm sure it's genetic. I only turn wood most the year and make blanks for turning during the cool season. Hopefully epoxy will be ok, but like you said I'll try a small test first. If it's mild benadryl helps a little if zi take it right away, but steroids won't do a thing.

For anybody reading this I heard back from the vendor. While Clearcast 7000 is good for casting it's not suitable for turning. He told me to go with Liquid Diamonds but I want something that begins to gel faster to get the mix I like.

Top Bottom