Has anybody Made a snuff Box?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from reddwil

reddwil

Had a customer ask me today If I could turn him a snuff can out of wood. The size of a skoal can. I know how to do it, just like any other thread lib box. I would just like to know if anyone has made one and had any tips. What type of finish to use that won't contaminate the snuff. That sort stuff. Pictures would be great

PaulDoug

Never made I used one as decoration on a cigarbox guitar. If I did make one I wouldn't put any finish on the inside and I'd make it out of hickory or some such wood. Maybe a piece of that whiskey barrel someone was selling on this forum.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
While I have not made one, I would imagine that the woods and finishes used in Cigar Humidors would be the path to take. I believe that Cigar Humidors are generally made from Spanish Cedar or Mahogany. Some are made from other woods and then lined with Spanish Cedar.

I doubt they use the more aromatic varieties of Cedar like Eastern Red as that would affect the smell and taste. Looking online at various high end humidors, these two types of wood seem quite popular.

On DIY humidor designs I have seen, they have used Polyurethane, Varnish or Lacquer as finishes.

Also looking online, I have seen several wooden snuff boxes many of which seem to be Rosewood or Padauk. Generally the commentary on snuff boxes implies that they are not good for more than a day's worth before the snuff goes bad. I suspect that longer term storage in a Spanish Cedar box might be possible with good seals.

Top Bottom