Harvey, Jet, Laguna, or Nova

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Odinswoodshop

I am having some trouble making up my mind. I am going to be upgrading my lathe but I do not ever want a massive lathe and I do not have a need for legs as I have a very heavy cart for my lathe already. That being said I know a lot of websites recommend the Jet 1221 and I know that is a really good lathe especially at the price. but I really want my last mid-size lathe and I am really leaning towards the Laguna 15/24 or the Nova Saturn DVR. On the side, though I have noticed there is a big discount on the Harvey T40 and I really like that lathe for a mid-size and it is currently $350 less than the Laguna and Nova. What does anyone think about these options? Would you choose one over the other and why? Are there other options I should look at instead?

Thank you all for your time
Erik

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have a Jet 1221, I haven't had any issues with it. If money were no object, I'd buy the Robust Scout, but I can't justify the cost. Maybe a retirement gift, but that's a couple of years away.

RobS

The other option is the PM 2014, CURRENTLY ON SALE 10% off WITH FREE SHIPPING:

I owned the 1221vs for 5 years, but wanted something a little more heavy duty when I was turning my resin shaving bowls and resin large handles.

So I bought the PM 2014, its much more heavier duty, and runs smoothly. The tailstock is extremely strong, stable and the acme screw is soooo smooth when drilling. I bought the table top version, and had Rick H. made me a converter (shown below) so all my custom pen making tool rests from my 1221vs could be used in the 1" post holder. The tailstock and headstock separate from the base, so you can move it around in pieces without breaking your back.

The PM 2014 is a much bigger footprint over the 1221vs, and the motor is mounted on the side and not under.

I will note the the 1221vs is the fastest belt change setup of the 2, I can swap speeds in under 30 seconds on the 1221vs, on the PM it takes about 1 min 2 tops. The 1221vs just has more room.

1614378581896.png

Curly

Very few of us will have used more than one of them much less several so all you will get are opinions that could be fair or quite biased. Actually I haven't used any so my opinion is even more of an opinion. Subject to correction I believe the Laguna is made by Harvey. One thing to keep in mind is the Harvey is a 220V servo motor with twice the horse power of the Laguna's DC motor. Otherwise they both appear to be pretty similar. I'd go for the T-40. But what I would really love to get would be the T-60. 🤗
Have fun with whatever you pick.

Charlie_W

My two top pics would be the Powermatic 2014 or the Harvey T40.

If you have or can add 220v, the Harvey might be the ticket. It has a swivel head for larger diameter work.

The PM is 115v and about 25 pounds heavier. The headstock will slide to the end for larger turnings.
I've used a number of PM 3520 lathes and have the 3520B....they are quality machines. I have used the Jet MIDI lathes as well as the 1624 Nova DVR lathes. In my opinion, these two are not on the same level as the PM or Harvey.

I have not had hands on with either the PM 2014 nor the Harvey but both look promising. Look online for reviews.
I feel both these lathes are better quality than the others you list.

A lot for me boils down to motor, capacity, and most importantly, the fit and finish. The lesser quality/price lathes have more play between the tail stock and bedways and lateral play in the quill. The better lathes are machined to tighter tolerances.....and usually have a longer quill stroke.

Let us know which one wins out.

Darrin

I love my JET 1221, but that being said after a year I'm looking at a new lathe.
My best advice is buy the biggest with the heaviest footprint you can within your budget.
Dare I say add a few hundred Dollars.

Top Bottom