Hardwood blanks and stabilizing services

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scrofts1219

I have really depleted what was once a good supply and variety of pen blanks (mostly hardwood or stabilized woods). I really need to stock up but am curious about who you all believe is a good, trustworthy online supplier that has reasonable and fair prices. Consistently. I am a loyal customer but want a good product. My local retail stores seem to have less inventory these days and I'm ready to buy more online but it makes me a little nervous to buy without seeing. I have bought lots of stuff from all the most common online pen turning sites, like all of you, but mostly components and supplies--not wood or stabilized blanks. Any thoughts?

Part 2 of my query is re: stabilizing services. I have zero interest in getting into stabilizing. But I bought some flame buckwood burl blanks the other day through Etsy and didn't realize they weren't stabilized. They are gorgeous pieces of wood but I want to stabilize them before turning. Online searches were a little confusing and so I thought I'd reach out for recommendations if any of you have used or provide stabilization services. Thanks.

PS I'm still looking for more flame (red/pink) stabilized boxelder burl if anyone has any or a source.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

The best wood blanks I have purchased have been directly from members here on the forum--often cut to standard size, sometimes "shorts", and sometimes just chunks of wood that I've cut myself. Hardwood covers a lot of territory from all over the world (except maybe Antarctica??) but there is not much that doesn't come across the forum!!

Some of my favorite suppliers here on the forum are Robuticon (George from Australia), wood128 (Joe from Florida) and RockB (Rocky, great redwoods). I've got some stock I need to re-list soon.

There's some folks on here who stabilize for us reasonably. I started doing my own a few months ago--and while i'm getting it done, I've not yet mastered the cure to minimize push-out so mine aren't as good-looking "raw" as the people who do it well--but they turn great!!

Retail purchase of wooden blanks--i'd consider Exotic Blanks, mostly because that's where I get most of my hardware. But--I really have come to enjoy working with other members on the forum.
earl

I agree, what I've seen from those supplying blanks on IAP are top notch. If you're looking at trying to find something you can't find here you might try Bell Forest Products. They have a good selection of pieces but can't I give you an honest opinion on prices. But I would sure try to keep your purchases "in house" if possible. If your ever in the market for Koa, let me know as I have quite a bit of it.

MRDucks2

For already cut to size blanks, quality is really good from folks on IAP.

For best wood pen blank selection and price, I recommend WoodTurningz. Selection and inventory are very good and they have about the best wood blank prices on the web from a vendor. I know as I price the wood blanks I am selling, they are my reference for best price and they also sell stabilized blanks, though I haven't bought many of those as I stabilize myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dehn0045

Two online retailers that I suggest checking out are: gilmerwood.com and bellforestproducts.com . They deal in specialty hardwoods of all sizes/types. There are a few sellers on ebay that specialize in different species, here are some that I follow: antlersexpress, exotic-wood-n-burls, guayacanpr, kamuelahardwoodshawaii, monitorseller, sonoraironwood, and treekiller20.

If you are willing to pay a premium and want quality material without spending too much time shopping, check out cookwoods.com and Griffin Exotic Wood--High Quality Exotic Woods

For stabilizing, I have heard several people have used K&G (K & G Finishing Supplies - Stabilizing - Home) with good results and their pricing seems pretty fair. I do my own stabilizing, so haven't used them. My understanding is that the pros tend to get a little better finished product than us amateurs.

Last edited:

eharri446

If you are into cutting your own blanks from wood, try Cook Woods. You can look at the different pieces of wood in a wide variety of species and what you order is what you get.

You just need to make sure that what you order is completely dry unless you can wait for it to dry.

Top Bottom