Hardite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Talltim

It seems like Berea has turned away from titanium gold finishes to a finish called hardite.

Any opinions on this finish?

This may have been commented on before. If I missed it , I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I asked the same question the last week or so - worded differently - and didn't get a nibble; it was read by a lot of folks but no one commented. Hope you have better luck; I'll certainly be following your post.

egnald

Greetings all:

I don't know if it is the same stuff, but the following information about Hardite came from an report published by the Institute of Materials Finishing in April 2006:

The 'Hardite' coating is a unique gas-phase CVD process that produces a hard wearing, low friction and corrosion resistant layer of tungsten carbide suitable for use on tools and components. It is produced by CVD in a furnace heated to between 500-550 degrees C. At this temperature, a chemical reaction takes place between the gases which then crystallize on the surface of the components, producing a smooth layer of binder free tungsten carbide with abrasion, erosion and chemical resistant properties.

If it is this stuff, it sounds like a really-really hard and durable material.

Regards,
Dave

Talltim

Thanks for the replies. For people to buy a pen for seventy to one hundred dollars you have to add a little "sizzle" to the sale. I always thought "titanium gold" in the description was a value enhancer and was suppose to be a durable finish.

If the description Dave provided is indeed the same materials it sounds like hardite is primarily a layer of tungsten carbide. Tungsten carbide is known for its durable qualities and is commonly used in jewelry.

Sounds like maybe I need to ask Berea a few questions. Their description of hardite sounds a bit like me describing the white spacers lamented into my pens as a special space age poly material that is practically indestructible when it is really a Walmart gas card that was left on top of the pump.

To me tungsten carbide sounds more value enhancing than hardite.

Guess I will have to do a little more research.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Pen Zen

From Woodcraft

"The pen in this kit features Hardite™ Plating, a proprietary
coating that is primarily metallic in nature. The rich, smoky bronze gold
Hardite color is extremely durable – more durable than titanium gold and less
expensive. "

jrista

I didn't know anything about it before but searching "hardite" led me to this. https://hardide.com A company that is big enough to be in multiple countries. Oddly enough Berea has trademarked it. https://trademarks.justia.com/870/78/hardite-87078232.html Wonder how Hardite feels about it?
The linked company is actually "Hardide", whereas the trademark by Berea is "Hardite"...

From Woodcraft

"The pen in this kit features Hardite™ Plating, a proprietary
coating that is primarily metallic in nature. The rich, smoky bronze gold
Hardite color is extremely durable – more durable than titanium gold and less
expensive. "

I have turned a number of Hardite Sierra (or Wall Street II) kits. I'm not a fan so far. It really looks like fools gold!! It has that greenish tinge to it, and I am not a fan. I am greatly missing the TiGold kits myself, and I really don't understand why Berea has gone down this route. IMO, it is diminishing the value of their kits. There is a distinct luxury to real gold. TiGold is a legit alloy with actual gold, and it looks like it, has that warm, rich gold color. Hardite looks like "sick gold" with its greenish tint....

Also, as far as I gather, Hardite does not actually have any gold in it at all. It is not gold, it just has a similar, but inferior IMO, look.

IMO, its a very sad change if Berea is actually eliminating real gold from their products...it may make me very seriously think twice about using them in the future. Especially if the alternative looks like fools gold... 😭

Top Bottom