Hard Maple and Plastic sandwiched centerband

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wmcullen

Wmcullen

a1.jpg

This is cherry with a centerband of hard maple of 2 kinds of dollar store plastic.

I found these inexpensive chips and wanted to try a centerband "sandwich" of:
hard maple
blue translucent
blue opaque
blue translucent
hard maple
a2.jpg

I wanted to use CA glue, but the chips slid all over. I could have used glue boost I suppose, but I don't own any.
Instead, I drilled thin holes through each piece separately, applied CA glue, and put them on a toothpick, shish kabab style to dry.
a5.jpg

Once dry, I drilled through the middle with a 1/4" bit...
a4.jpg

...and added to the mandrel.
a3.jpg

Thanks for looking.
- Cullen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

View attachment 362513
This is cherry with a centerband of hard maple of 2 kinds of dollar store plastic.

I found these inexpensive chips and wanted to try a centerband "sandwich" of:
hard maple
blue translucent
blue opaque
blue translucent
hard maple
View attachment 362514

I wanted to use CA glue, but the chips slid all over. I could have used glue boost I suppose, but I don't own any.
Instead, I drilled thin holes through each piece separately, applied CA glue, and put them on a toothpick, shish kabab style to dry.
View attachment 362517

Once dry, I drilled through the middle with a 1/4" bit...
View attachment 362516
...and added to the mandrel.
View attachment 362515

Thanks for looking.
- Cullen
Ingenuity at it's finest, looks cool too.

Wmcullen

Mass producing these centerbands
I figured out a few things while making lots of these hard maple and plastic centerbands for holiday gifts.
(See above for overview.)
bb5.jpg

Two sandwiched centerbands fit at a time on a toothpick during gluing.
bb10.jpg

I cut small squares of 2x4, drilled a guide hole, and used a coutersink bit to create gaps so glue wouldn't attach.
bb4.jpg

This little black spacer was 3d printed, although it could also be made from wood with a coutersink bit.
The key feature is that it won't get glued to the centerbands even if a little CA leaks out because of the conical indent on either side.
bb3.jpg

(I tried to make a long stack of these, but it did start to bow, so I limited the mass production to two per clamp.
bb8.jpg

But I have plenty of small clamps and made about 10 at a time, hanging the clamps vertically to dry.
bb9.jpg

bb2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom