Hard Fought One

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

This is an original Apollo from Bullseye Turning. It was a tough one. The pen was supposed to have a matching cap but it didn't cooperate and blew apart on me. Luckily I had another blank I could use to make a new cap. I think the yellow tint complements the nib end nicely
A5F1EA6D-DFDC-47F0-979A-1AC9750E82CA.jpeg
6E3873DA-DB11-4A2E-8409-59523AB1B1F8.jpeg
96B7BBD3-2AAA-41CF-B116-C1D8F529E3A3.jpeg
014FCAE9-5F48-4EE5-8BC0-351125B88CC0.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I can see where that would be a challenge for me for sure. I run into problems sometimes with chipping at the ends even before I remove the bushings to TBC. I'm sure having a blowout isn't hard without a tube and glue to stabilize it, especially with pressure applied from the inside. That is, assuming you used a pin chuck or whatever you call those expanding/compression type chucks?

KenB259

I can see where that would be a challenge for me for sure. I run into problems sometimes with chipping at the ends even before I remove the bushings to TBC. I'm sure having a blowout isn't hard without a tube and glue to stabilize it, especially with pressure applied from the inside. That is, assuming you used a pin chuck or whatever you call those expanding/compression type chucks?
On the cap I actually did use a pin chuck instead of the dedicated mandrel these pens take. I figured if it blew apart again it would be easier to start over when nothing was glued in place. I glued it together last, just before finishing.

sorcerertd

On the cap I actually did use a pin chuck instead of the dedicated mandrel these pens take. I figured if it blew apart again it would be easier to start over when nothing was glued in place. I glued it together last, just before finishing.
Oh, so it's not glued in after turning? (normally anyway) I haven't worked with these yet, so never bothered to look at instructions. I'll have to check it out now, out of curiousity.

KenB259

Oh, so it's not glued in after turning? (normally anyway) I haven't worked with these yet, so never bothered to look at instructions. I'll have to check it out now, out of curiousity.
All the gluing is supposed to be done before turning. There's more than one way to skin a cat though. 😜

Top Bottom