Harbor Freight Bench Grinder Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Campbell

I recently bought an 8" variable speed grinder from Harbor Freight. It seemed like a good deal at $140.

I really don't need the high speed since all I really do is tool sharpening.

It sat around for a couple of months on the bench before I put it to use. I cranked to know down to the slowest speed. Inside of 15 minutes the variable speed stopped working and the bench grinder kicked into high speed.

It's too late to take back, and of course I recycled the box, because really, what can go wrong with a bench grinder?

Any thoughts on how to slow it down to the lower range (2000). I'd just as soon wire it to the lower speed but don't know much about variable speed motors.

Thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I wouldn't worry about the box. I'd check into the amount of time that has passed since you've purchased it. That might be the key. Good Luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
For all the complaints on the cheapness of HF, I have heard the HF people be very lenient with the warranty - as other asked about something broken. If you gave your phone number and or email when you purchased it, they have it on record and keep the record of your purchases, just for such reasons as you mentioned, whether you purchased the extended warranty or not.

I had a pressure washer that was 5 years old and no parts (pump) available through HF. The manager offered me 40% off of a new one with the trade in. In general they are very good with replacements.

Woodchipper

Had a corded chainsaw that I had for several years. There was a recall on that particular model. I save all receipts, checked, took the receipt and saw to my local store. Exchanged with no questions asked. New saw got a workout by cutting up my old deck into manageable pieces.

Top Bottom