Mini Review Harbor Freight $20 LED shop light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

After spending $90 at Lowe's for a 2'x4' LED 5000 lumen light to replace the one the mice chewed up in my shop, I was a bit disappoint s in the overall value. But it did make light.

With a Harbor Freight Coupon their 4' LED 5000 lumen light was only $20 so bought the visit limit of 3 (wife needs more light,too) to see what they were like.

Saw at the store the box was less than 3"x3", and the length was listed as 46-3/8" with no color indication. A bit of a concern but it was only $20.

Hung one up replacing the old T-12 that originally lost a bulb and was quite pleased. I think the value is there if they meet your needs.
IMG_1572.JPG

The light
IMG_1573.JPG

Hung
IMG_1574.JPG

Vs one of the old T-12 to the right and some T-8 a little further to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I couldn't actually see the photos from my phone for some reason, so had to get on the laptop, but the answer is yes, many. Wish I could that much out of 3 lights.

The white ceiling is a huge plus and a white floor would add to that (had that in my last shop, along with white walls). Having grown up working in a block walled 28 x 48 basement with 6 incandescent bulbs I have not skimped on shop lighting since I have been buying my own. Lol

The new single tube light from HF is to the left, an old 2 tube T-12 to the right. The cords you see trail off to two double tube T-8's hanging a bit lower over the lathe.
Just barely out of view over where I stand are two old 2 tube T-12. Behind those are two bright 4 tube T-8 tray lights followed by one dimmer 4 tube T-8 tray light and then a new 5000 lumen 2 strip LED tray light in a 2x4 size.

A key point is the single tube 46" HF $20 3"x3" 5000 lumen light is illuminating the surrounding area much better than the 24" x 48" Lowes 5000 lumen light I paid $90 for. I may try to snap a photo to compare, but the Lowes light was listed as being in the white, daylight color I prefer in the shop, the HF light had no color output listed. For $80 at HF I would have achieved a ton more light. Fortunately, the LED tray light is over my mechanical bench and a general purpose set of cabinets/counter top where I don't really need the brighter light.

In the days that we bought individual bulbs, T-8 or T-12 tubes for instance, 5000 Lumens at at a light temperature scale of around 4000-4200 gave about as white of a light as you could get. A higher number was cooler or bluer, a lower number was warmer or more yellow. I am wondering if, now that we sometimes buy lighting assemblies, if it may be possible that the numbers get skewed a bit.

Top Bottom