Handwriting Day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bzahn

As a former German language teacher I have been subscribed to the Pelikan Lehrer-Info (Pelikan Teacher Info) emails for many years. Today's email informed me that today is Tag der Handschrift (Handwriting Day). Who knew?

It goes on to explain that its origin is in the USA and the date, Jan. 23, is based on John Hancock's birthdate.
What do you know!

So far I am unaware of any Hallmark cards for Handwriting Day.

Well, I learn something every day.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Well if you ever saw my handwriting you'd know why I'm unaware of this day. When my cursive got to the point where I was having trouble reading it I started printing. It made doctors proud of their writing. I never learned to type. I still use the HPCE method. That's Hunt, Peck, Cuss and Erase. Then came texting with auto correct!! I thought that would help but it's more wrong than right half the time. So all that to say enjoy your special day.

Drewby108

My handwriting hasn't improved since fifth grade, so more than two thirds of my life has been the same tiny scribbles. My mom and grandma both saw something I wrote a while back and made the comment independently of each other that I have the handwriting of a serial killer. Then they wonder why they don't grt handwritten cards for birthdays/Christmas

egnald

I don't know for sure when they stopped, but I don't think any of my adult children learned cursive writing when they were in school -- replaced by keyboarding I suppose. Penmanship was also not stressed I'm sure. They all basically even have a printed signature. If it wasn't for script fonts on the computer they wouldn't have any exposure to cursive at all. I think it's kind of sad. Just showing my age I guess. - Dave

derekdd

I was horrible at cursive as a kid and was glad when they finally stopped teaching penmanship. I shifted to printing immediately, and my handwriting is awful to this day.

I've found a cursive font I like online, printed off the alphabet, then taped it into a ruled notebook to start practicing. I haven't gotten every far with it, but I do have the goal of spending some time improving my skill.

d_bondi

I was horrible at cursive as a kid and was glad when they finally stopped teaching penmanship. I shifted to printing immediately, and my handwriting is awful to this day.

I've found a cursive font I like online, printed off the alphabet, then taped it into a ruled notebook to start practicing. I haven't gotten every far with it, but I do have the goal of spending some time improving my skill.
I'm with you on this one Derek. I CAN write in cursive, and with considerable effort it even looks mediocre. In HS I even did a little calligraphy, but that is more like printing. As a degreed engineer (who actually was a mechanical drawing TA in college), I print and always have. Mostly all caps, just smaller caps for what would usually be lower case. Imagine how much fun I had when I discovered the Architect grind Nibs!!

But... I LOVE your idea to find a cursive font that I like and begin practicing it. I will put that on my list!

Drewby108

I don't know for sure when they stopped, but I don't think any of my adult children learned cursive writing when they were in school -- replaced by keyboarding I suppose. Penmanship was also not stressed I'm sure. They all basically even have a printed signature. If it wasn't for script fonts on the computer they wouldn't have any exposure to cursive at all. I think it's kind of sad. Just showing my age I guess. - Dave
I was still learning cursive (at a private Catholic school, granted) in third grade, which was 2001ish. I believe that school still gives a small amount of time to teach it, but not with any enforcement. Mostly to give the kids the ability to read it if needed.

bzahn

These days cursive writing could almost be a secret code to keep others from knowing what you are writing. Very handy for parents who know how!

Gregf

I flunked handwriting in grade school. Yes it's possible. Ironic I ended up working for a handwriting education company.

Kenny Durrant

These days cursive writing could almost be a secret code to keep others from knowing what you are writing. Very handy for parents who know how!
Funny you should say that. I've heard when the younger bunch start taking over and the old folks need to revolt here's what we need to do. No need to try to hide anything. We just write cursive and use the old paper maps! They'll never figure out what we're doing.

bzahn

For another handwriting story - my father was a pediatrician and as the computer age came along he hired me to computerize all his patient records. Typical of doctors, his handwriting was very difficult to read. I think they have classes on that in medical school. Now, I knew already that his handwriting was difficult to read, because I and all of my siblings knew that we could not forge a note to excuse an absence from school without being immediately caught. But it took me weeks to figure out all his writing. Lots of consultation with him to decipher it for me.

Top Bottom