Hand tool size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paco

I am thinking about purchasing a spindle master type tool to use with my mini lathe. Does anyone have any experience/opinion on using a full sized hand tool with a mini lathe? I currently have the smaller sized set of tools that I purchased as a beginner set when I started turning pens and I am wondering if it is difficult to use a full sized lathe tool to work on something so small.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Hello Paco,
I use the full size tools all the time, but that is the way I learned how to make pens. I don't know how hard it is to switch from using the mini tools. Full size seems to work for me. Don't know much about the Spindlemaster though.

jim

alamocdc

Paco, I have a Delta Midi (read mini), and I have a set of pen turning chisels (PSI starter set), but I never use them. I use my full sized set almost exclusively.

dubdrvrkev

The only time a larger tool hinders you on a mini ( in my experience) is when you are turning bowls and have to use some odd angles and the long handle can hit the bed. As for the spindle master, I traded mine for pen blanks. I did not like it one bit. Maybe some more practice would have helped, but I found it a lot easier to just use the skew.

Randy_

I started off with small chisels as that is what came with the lathe. Moved up to full sized tools and will never go back except on the rare occasion when I need to do a very fine detail....and maybe not even then??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom