Hand Micro-engraved Turtle Pendant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A local herpetologist with a special interest in turtles asked for a tiny hand engraved pendant - I obliged her:
I like Steve Lindsay's universal graver point geometry for hand engraving - this one is 18ga. copper, engraved from life in Golden Gate Park (Stow Lake), finished with a liver of sulfur patina "warmed up" with jewelers rouge; spray fixed with NIKOLAS 2105 SPRAY LACQUER, which is my favorite brass instrument lacquer:

attachment.php

Some friends have just requested some hand engraved floral themed bottle stoppers - more fun ahead this weekend.

Happy Saturday - Bob
(Go small or go home)

Attachments

• Turtle,HandMicroEngraving,2019.jpg
    Turtle,HandMicroEngraving,2019.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 477
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

Another nice piece, you treat your friends to some wonderful things :)
Do you happen to know if the Nikolas 2015 would work well on steel? I made a pen clip from Damascus steel, but I didn't seal it and it rusted.
Thanks!

Bob in SF

Duncan - The lacquer is best on non-ferrous metals.

I haven't tried it on steel - but it might be worth a try depending upon the iron content of the steel alloy.

duncsuss

Duncan - The lacquer is best on non-ferrous metals.

I haven't tried it on steel - but it might be worth a try depending upon the iron content of the steel alloy.

I have no idea about the iron content (in truth, I have no idea about most things I try doing) as these were scrap pieces gifted to me by a couple of knife makers. I think I'll start by trying Delft or Krylon which I already own and see if they help any.

Thanks!

Bob in SF

Many thanks Tim, Duncan, Charlie, Greg, and Jim!

I got interested in engraving when I began looking at the amazing work of Albrecht Durer (1471-1528). I'm lucky to know Steve Lindsay and his current phenomenal work. I'll never reach their heights, but it's great fun to grind gravers and drive them through metal. I'll always enjoy drawing and painting, but engraving is a special commitment of line and tone. Like turning - no erasing.

- Bob

TG Design

Bob, I am interested in enhancing some pens with hand engraving. I've looked at Steve Lindsay's site and saw many inspiring ideas.

You mention his universal graver point, I need to look at his site again, I did not see where to purchase one.

Do you have any additional suggestions to get started, any additional tools? I assume a magnifier is key, I where glasses so that has been a struggle for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dogcatcher

Bob, I am interested in enhancing some pens with hand engraving. I've looked at Steve Lindsay's site and saw many inspiring ideas.

You mention his universal graver point, I need to look at his site again, I did not see where to purchase one.

Do you have any additional suggestions to get started, any additional tools? I assume a magnifier is key, I where glasses so that has been a struggle for me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

In my opinion this is the best beginners guide to engraving on the Internet.
https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/24166-simple-engraving-for-knifemakers/

Bob in SF

Yes, dogcatcher - fine article - also recommending the Lindsay graver geometry template and sharpening technique.

Cody - Thanks! - yes, my hands are absolutely steady - keeps me out of trouble in my day job.

Top Bottom