Hairy Gentleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kcimdrib

Kcimdrib

Sorry about the Pun but I managed to source some Hairy Oak and tried it out on a Jr Gentleman's kit.
I certainly like the wood but needs a gentle approach when turning.
The finish is Sanding Sealer/ Friction Polish / Microcrystalline Wax.
Hope you like them please feel free to comment.

Attachments

• Pen4.jpg
    Pen4.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 184
  • Pen3.jpg
    Pen3.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 180
  • Pen2.jpg
    Pen2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 167
  • Pen1.jpg
    Pen1.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

That's Aces! I'm jealous, I would love to have some Hairy Oak, especially diagonal cut. It is such an attractive timber. - Outstanding. -- Dave

Kcimdrib

Very very nice, Michael.

Who is your uk supplier? I would like a couple of those blanks.

Alan
Very very nice, Michael.

Who is your uk supplier? I would like a couple of those blanks.

Alan
Hi Alan it's Lincolnshire Woodcraft Supplies but I'm a little suspicious the Website is useless and it looks like the business is being sold. Also I get a warning that the site is unsafe and not to use it.
Having said that the wood arrived and my Bank Account is OK sofar. Delivery cost is expensive but I am loath to buy some more until the business is sold.
Just be careful.
Mike

Kcimdrib

That's Aces! I'm jealous, I would love to have some Hairy Oak, especially diagonal cut. It is such an attractive timber. - Outstanding. -- Dave
Thank you for your comments and see my reply to Alan.

sorcerertd

Nice work! I am not at all familiar with hairy oak. Are the darker streaks large pores? They don't seem consistent enough to be winter growth, but I've been wrong before (ask my wife).

Kcimdrib

Nice work! I am not at all familiar with hairy oak. Are the darker streaks large pores? They don't seem consistent enough to be winter growth, but I've been wrong before (ask my wife).
Todd
Sorry I can't answer you questions I saw a pen made by Peter Hay and managed to obtain some blanks here in the UK. The wood I have is very dry and brittle so needs a delicate touch when turning. The tree I believe is Australian the dark streaks seem to be random and that's about all I can say.
Like you my wife knows 90% of everything and the remaining 10% her mother new.

Mike

howsitwork

Mike and Todd

I too am blessed with SWMBO but nice pen. Mother in law is great and 45 miles away is just about right😉

Did you resin stabilise first ? I think from reading up you didn't? The lower barrel seems a bit slimmer than the fittings unless it's the photo so I'm guessing that's when you found the sanding issue?

I am struggled with black palm grain plucking out even with a fresh skew presented at 45* and great care. I did try stabilizing but it's not really worked sadly so lots of CA and great care. Hope to picture it on here soon ( there I've committed to it now ). The grain plucks as long "needles " which then have to be rapidly found and stuck back or lots of dust and CA applied followed by a coffee break as I don't like accelerator.

Kcimdrib

Mike and Todd

I too am blessed with SWMBO but nice pen. Mother in law is great and 45 miles away is just about right😉

Did you resin stabilise first ? I think from reading up you didn't? The lower barrel seems a bit slimmer than the fittings unless it's the photo so I'm guessing that's when you found the sanding issue?

I am struggled with black palm grain plucking out even with a fresh skew presented at 45* and great care. I did try stabilizing but it's not really worked sadly so lots of CA and great care. Hope to picture it on here soon ( there I've committed to it now ). The grain plucks as long "needles " which then have to be rapidly found and stuck back or lots of dust and CA applied followed by a coffee break as I don't like accelerator.
Ian
Sorry I don't have the facility for resin stabilisation I like the simple life. As for the fit I cannot see any problems in the finished pen.
As for a Skew Chisel I use mine all the time I find them easy to use on pens lager items can be a different story.
I curve the cutting edge which for me works better than a straight angle grind.

Mike

Top Bottom