Hairy Banksia Pod

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

This is my first Hairy Banksia Pod pen, I have a couple more blanks and can't wait to get them turned. The kit is also a first for me, Pacifica Clicker with the Honu Turtle accent from woodpenpro.com. The kit is nice, not the highest quality but not the highest price. This is one of 5 click pens that my mom commissioned to give to her friends -- she gave me $100 for all 5 pens :eek: -- so I needed to find a kit that was cost effective, if you know what I mean. The blank is amazing (thanks @robutacion). After I finished it I texted my mom a photo and said "thanks for the down payment on the pens, price just went up a little, lol". My photos don't really do it justice. Also, a couple of spots where my backpainting of the tube wasn't perfect, but for $20 I think my mom will be happy :p.
PSX_20190714_170045.jpgPSX_20190716_234525.jpgPSX_20190716_234604.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Sam, whatever you do, DO NOT point out any flaws or errors to anyone, especially, your mother. I never point out a flaw or error top anyone, why would I? If there's a flaw or error that they can't see, why point it out to a potential buyer, or someone who is going to point it out to everyone they know. If the pen has a flaw after being turned, it goes into my keeper collection. Unless the flaw is to noticeable, then I just turn the blank off of the brass and count it as a lost blank.

Len

Dehn0045

@Lucky2 I've been on a quest for the perfectly turned/finished pen since day one of my penturning hobby. I've gotten close a couple of times (by my personal standard). That said, I am casually interested in the Japanese design aesthetic Wabi Sabi - which allows me to embrace the impeefections. I know that when I screw something up on a pen it isn't really Wabi Sabi, but it at least makes me feel better :p

robutacion

This is my first Hairy Banksia Pod pen, I have a couple more blanks and can't wait to get them turned. The kit is also a first for me, Pacifica Clicker with the Honu Turtle accent from woodpenpro.com. The kit is nice, not the highest quality but not the highest price. This is one of 5 click pens that my mom commissioned to give to her friends -- she gave me $100 for all 5 pens :eek: -- so I needed to find a kit that was cost effective, if you know what I mean. The blank is amazing (thanks @robutacion). After I finished it I texted my mom a photo and said "thanks for the down payment on the pens, price just went up a little, lol". My photos don't really do it justice. Also, a couple of spots where my backpainting of the tube wasn't perfect, but for $20 I think my mom will be happy :p.
View attachment 222569View attachment 222570View attachment 222571
G'day Sam,

You have done very well, you have listened to many of the comments/suggestions I made about handling these blanks and as a result, you got excellent results so congrats...! đź‘Ť

I'm sure your Mom will enjoy it as for your "budget" for making the 5 pens, you may need to stretch it a bit if you want to continue to use "less economical" blanks as for the kits to use, I've lost count of all the dozens and dozens of new kits available in our days many priced fairly, I think...!

Keep up the good work,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom