Had some fun with a new design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Seems like most of the pens I turn are just variations of ones others have shown. Tried this design which I actually haven't seen anyone else do. Woods used are ash, walnut, mahogany and yellow/black spectra-ply.

20191022_174857.jpg

20191022_174914.jpg

This is a picture of the construction of the segmented layer:
20191022_154617.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks good. The sky is the limit with designs like this. Use your imagination and it will take you to new heights. keep up the good work.

magpens

What can I say ....... VERY NICE !!

You had a very clear vision of what you wanted when you put that one together !!! . Congratulations !!!

SteveJ

Awesome. How do you manage to accurately cut a squared up pen blank from the glue up?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Sometimes it seems like just luck. I've had some come out crooked. This one is actually slightly of center. The sides you can't see are walnut and one side is wider than the other. It doesn't look as bad to me as the couple of yellow segments that are mismatched! I will slightly change my method of doing this assuming I do another one to fix that issue.

So to keep things square I keep trimming the blank as i glue it up. Making sure to have each addition the same size. I then also trim it to make sure the blank is as square as possible.

I have a Byrne's table saw which allows me to make very precise cuts which i wouldn't attempt on a regular saw. (I think you could do them on a well tuned bandsaw.). I also run the pieces through a sander when sizing (also made by Byrnes).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I missed this while my computer was in the shop.

Great design Steve. I always did like the Classical Music examples of Variations on a Theme! You are doing great in expanding your design repertoire.

Top Bottom