Had an old pair of jeans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from frank123

frank123

Didn't want to just throw them out and waste them so I made this

img011.jpg

OK, so a little bit of metal was involved as well.

(A scanner picture, my photography is far worse)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Handle is actually a cut up old pair of blue jeans, the leg is about an 8 inch wide strip and laminated it with 3M fiberglass resin by simply rolling it up around a quarter inch nylon rod (probably not necessary but made it easy for a first attempt) while pouring the resin and working it in by hand right in front of the roll leaving the only resin impregnated cloth that which was about 2 inches in front of the rolled portion so I didn't have to mess with a long piece of gooey cloth.

After rolling I tightened it just a little by rolling it rolling pin style on a cutting board then wrapped it in plastic bag plastic to cure (not necessary but kept the mess contained and off my table).

After curing the nylon rod pulled out easily to leave a hole to work out with a drill used sort of like a rotary file to fit the knife tang. The ends of the roll were pretty ragged so I just sawed them off square (and I'm glad I didn't make it any shorter, only had about an extra inch after trimming). This stuff is really tough, water proof, hard enough to take plenty of abuse, easily machined and finished and has a nice in hand feel to it.

I think I'm going to make more like this in knife and tool handle sized rolls and hopefully use an eighth inch Teflon rod to make something small enough for a pen blank.

Top Bottom