Gyro Ornament

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

This the the ornament I made for the Christmas Ornament Challenge hosted by Alan Stratton and Carl Jacobsen. It's made from Pine and Cedar.

IMG_0025 (800x600).jpgIMG_0029 (800x600).jpgIMG_0031 (800x600).jpgIMG_0034 (800x600).jpg

Here is a link to the video I submitted for the contest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fa6wijCaFM&list=PL4W9FE566kZgvJVxPKGpzOJOkOQ_goWjd&index=85

Here is a link to the entire Christmas Ornament Challenge playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPEz-X-T34&list=PL4W9FE566kZgvJVxPKGpzOJOkOQ_goWjd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

What?....No motors?...No batteries?...No flashing LED lights?...
Derek, I am disappointed!

Seriously, that is one super duper ornament!
Very creative, excellent execution! I know it took a lot of time!

lyonsacc

Very nice Derek! Could you tell me more about that tool that spins the wood around? And it looks like magic when you hold a flat piece of metal to it and the wood changes shape!

Actually, it is a neat ornament. I wish I had the thinker to come up with something like that.

bobleibo

Derek, as much as I like goofing with you, this isn't one of those times. That is simply cool! You have to keep us posted how you do in the contest. I've watched the video twice now. Good thing for us there isn't a IAP Birthday Bash contest for best video.....yours are the best.....and you still have the mustard glue bottle !!!!
Cheers~
Bob

D.Oliver

Very nice Derek! Could you tell me more about that tool that spins the wood around? And it looks like magic when you hold a flat piece of metal to it and the wood changes shape!

I really don't know too much about that tool. I've been told it's called a lathe, but in my shop I call it the spinny thing. The only reason I got one was because I lost a bet. I'm told you can even turn pens on it, but you can't beleive everyting your told!:tongue:

D.Oliver

Fantastic video I hope you win!!! I didn't know you could use horse radish as a wood finish. Does it have be a particular brand or will nay brand work? LOL
Merry Christmas my friend.

Some people like ranch, but I wanted some finish with a little more kick!

and you still have the mustard glue bottle !!!!
Cheers~
Bob

Don't forget the horse radish bottle!

D.Oliver

They just announced the results of the Christmas Ornament Challenge. There were some beautiful ornaments turned this year. If you have a little time check them out. I'm sure you'll be inspired to make your own ornament. If you click the persons name it will take you to their ornament video. I know there are some very talented ornament makers on here. I'd like to encourage you guys to consider entering the challenge next year. Merry Christmas!

Top Bottom