Gunmetal durability?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I like the appearance of gunmetal finish on some pens and started wondering how well it holds up over time. I've seen discussions various places about the pros and cons of various platings but haven't seen anything on gunmetal. I've read that it is a bronze alloy, but am curious if gunmetal parts are plated or whether the gunmetal parts are actually formed from solid bronze, and in either case how well it stands up to continued use over time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

I have been told by 2 different pen kit providers that the gunmetal finish was developed? used? as a less expensive alternative to black titanium. They both indicated it had a durability like that of many of the "gold" platings - not gold titanium. As with all platings, durability tends to be a function of substrate (what is receiving the plating) preparation, the plating method used, the thickness of the plating applied - usually a function of time, and the composition of the plating. All of this is directly related to cost and ultimately price, but do not be deceived into believing all high priced plated components are the most durable.
If your goal is durability, you can test it for yourself. Buy a kit of interest; load up a white diamond buffing wheel, and buff a plated component, noting the time it takes for the plating to be removed from that component. Costly, maybe, but that must be weighed user/buyer expectation of durability - expressed or implied.
From strictly a hobby perspective, buy what you like; make the pen/pencil; use it; when plating material wears of or becomes too scratched up, discard it and make another - satisfying two things, the pleasure of making a pen, and the pleasure of using a pen you made.

Lucky2

"What type", you ask, I'm not sure of what you want or expect for an answer? Do you mean brand, type of finish like glossy or semi-gloss, water based or oil based, or how? If you had been more specific with your question, it would be easier to answer. But here's the best I can do for now. I don't recall the last brand I used, but it was one that was suggested at the paint and finish store. If I recall the name of it, I will post it on here. It is a very common lacquer, it's the same as you would use to finish a set of cupboards with. I always use a gloss finish on any pen parts, because you always want a pen to look as shiny as possible. I hope this helps with what you wanted to know, I'm sorry for not knowing or remembering the brand name.

Len

DrD

Thank you. I was interested primarily in brand, and gloss because not all pens are finished "shiny", and not all brands are really equal. I try to avoid circumlocution, but in so doing I apparently failed in conveying the concise basis for the information requested - a mistake I promise you I'll not repeat.

Last edited:

duncsuss

I've had gunmetal parts that have become pitted over time, probably from chemicals in finger oils and/or sweat.

Up till then, I'd believed the claims I'd read that gunmetal finishes are "as durable as chrome".

DrD

I've had gunmetal parts that have become pitted over time, probably from chemicals in finger oils and/or sweat.

Up till then, I'd believed the claims I'd read that gunmetal finishes are "as durable as chrome".
I believe "gunmetal" starts life as "black chrome" without some, most or all of the hardeners added to traditional black chrome. If substrate prep isn't thorough/sufficient, finished plated part may be prone to pitting, especially in presence of normal human body contact. It certainly is not as durable as traditional "chrome". This is also true for "rhodium" where expense is already greater hence the potential to cut some corners in the process.

Robinherb

IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4742.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4741.JPG
    IMG_4741.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom