Gun Rack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hanau

hanau

I had a request from a individual to add a draw under one of the gun racks I make and this is what I came up over the weekend.

photobucket-40278-1356560971364.jpg

photobucket-38599-1356561017141.jpg

photobucket-26840-1356561040888.jpg

Now I am going to try and build another one with some carvings in it.

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Paul
it is for handguns

here is one out of Walnut this one is what I call a tall rack.
walnutblue8wguns.jpg

The one on top of the draw unit is actual a shorter version of the tall rack bolted to the draw unit.

Tim
I used red oak to make it out of.
I making another one now but I wish I had some wider walnut to make it out of.

I did go back and add red felt to the draw. Wasn't sure if they wanted it or not till they got back in touch with me.

Last edited:

longbeard

Awesome
Love the pic with the heavy hardware, i'm a ruger man, i have a few ruger revolvers and can appreciate that piece of work. Sweet

plantman

I had a request from a individual to add a draw under one of the gun racks I make and this is what I came up over the weekend.

photobucket-40278-1356560971364.jpg

photobucket-38599-1356561017141.jpg

photobucket-26840-1356561040888.jpg

Now I am going to try and build another one with some carvings in it.

Thanks for looking.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: John; Mite I suggest gluing a set of runners inside the case above the drawer and out of sight to keep the drawer from tilting down when you pull it out? I will also usualy make a stop on the inside to keep the drawer from being pulled all the way out. I make it on a screw hanging on the inside of the front panel so you can swing it out of the way if you want to take the drawer out. Any ideas for a locking system?? Excellent crafsmanship !!! Jim S

hanau

Jim
I did attach some stops to back of the draw to keep it from being pulled out.
You tilt the draw up and pull out at the same time.
Stops are glued and braided in place.

photobucket-1923-1356568586065.jpg

I thought about doing something like you mention, but wanted it to rest on the table when opening worried about weight in the draw causing it to possibly tip over.

Possibility of it tipping over is low but any slight tilt forward I would be worried about the guns shifting and hitting.

Hopefully that makes sense.

StephenM

How did you do the felt/material at the top? I'm on the board of directors for our local historical society and need to make a rifle rack for 4 Hawkens and a Kentucky.

hanau

How did you do the felt/material at the top? I'm on the board of directors for our local historical society and need to make a rifle rack for 4 Hawkens and a Kentucky.

I cut the felt to size and used 3m spray adhesive, i tried the cheaper sprays and always go back to 3m it works better for me.

PaulDoug

Very nice, thanks for the picture of the completed one. Now I visualize one with a top case on it with glass in the doors.......

plantman

Jim
I did attach some stops to back of the draw to keep it from being pulled out.
You tilt the draw up and pull out at the same time.
Stops are glued and braided in place.

photobucket-1923-1356568586065.jpg

I thought about doing something like you mention, but wanted it to rest on the table when opening worried about weight in the draw causing it to possibly tip over.

Possibility of it tipping over is low but any slight tilt forward I would be worried about the guns shifting and hitting.

Hopefully that makes sense.

:confused: Good reasons John !!! You don't know unless you ask why. Thanks Jim S

ALA

Very nice! Lots of possibilities. This would work nice sitting inside a safe as well. :biggrin:

plantman

:eek::eek: John; You added Some carving to it ??? Looks like a lot of some to me. Beautiful work !! Is that Butternut, Walnut, or some other wood. Hand or CNC ?? Jim S

hanau

Thanks all.

Jim It is built out of red oak and the carving where stained cherry. Pictures change the color of it.

I have a carvewright carving machine it took maybe 3 hrs to do all the carvings.

Top Bottom