Gun question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

If not allowed please delete.
With cooler weather just around the corner I'm looking for a more comfortable way to conceal carry. I've been thinking about a shoulder holster rig but I'm concerned with exposed with an open coat or jacket. Does anyone carry this way and what limitations do you find it to have?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Mick, I like your avatar. One of my favorite movies. I used a shoulder holster back in the 80's Really didn't like wearing it. Around here, I would have to keep a jacket on at all times to conceal. Apparently you don't have that problem.
I got a jacket similar to this one in the link. But they have changed the design. The carry pocket on mine is in the inside left breast, with a zipper.

DrD

Here in Mississippi we don't have to worry about whether the gun is exposed/visible or not. I have shoulder holsters - all the old Jackass Style from Don Johnson and Miami Vice. Love them. Shoulder holsters offer the optimum in flexibility if you are driving or are seated. There just aren't that many cross draw holsters on the market suitable for either driving or sitting. Plus with a shoulder holster you have the benefit of spare ammo on your off-side. And, with a shoulder holster you can carry a big gun comfortably, not digging into you kidneys or appendix. If you go the shoulder holster route, don't buy cheap, go for something proven like the Jackass - now Bianchi, and get someone who is knowledgeable or just watch a video on how to fit it properly - Bianchi has a few.

I also open carry off the right hip in an outside the waistband holster, most always leather - I really don't like Kydex, except for spare mag holders. More recently, as I have scaled back from 45ACP, I just carry in my right front pocket. And then If, for whatever reason, I feel like I might need more, I'll just tuck a FNH Five-seveN somewhere in my waistband.

henry1164

Here in New York the concealed carry restrictions are so tight that I'm prohibited by law from commenting. Even the hint of dissent regarding this subject is potential for arrest. At least that's the way it feels.....

DrD

Like SpiritRider said, and you can even go to a larger "Hawaiian" style shirt, unbuttoned and untucked; I've done that literally hundreds of times here and in Florida.

mick

Like SpiritRider said, and you can even go to a larger "Hawaiian" style shirt, unbuttoned and untucked; I've done that literally hundreds of times here and in Florida.
This is what I do most if the tine but I'll carry OWB with my shirt untucked and the bottom button open. I've also got an Alien Gear tuck 2. So can carry either of my EDC guns IWB in my left hip or appendix carry. I'm not all that comfortable caring appendix to the right taking the chance of sweeping an unintended target as I draw.

DrD

Bye the way, hope you're out of the hospital! I looked at Alien Gear and Clinger, both looked nice. But neither addressed the issues associated with carrying while driving. Like how do you access your weapon with a seat belt buckled around you? That's one of the many reasons I tend to go with the Jackass Shoulder rig.

mick

Bye the way, hope you're out of the hospital! I looked at Alien Gear and Clinger, both looked nice. But neither addressed the issues associated with carrying while driving. Like how do you access your weapon with a seat belt buckled around you? That's one of the many reasons I tend to go with the Jackass Shoulder rig.
It's doubly hard for me being left handed as I have to lean into the car to access my gun. Half the time if your foot is on the brake the belt is locked.
I've also have had to teach myself first above all else to carry my wallet in my right pocket so I don't have to lean to the right exposing my firearm to an officer if stopped and God forbid I neglected to inform him I was armed.

gimpy

Here in Pa, as long as you have a concealed carry permit, it's leagal to open carry.
Whick i do, how ever, I wear a shirt untucked ad just a few bottom buttons bunted

PreacherJon

I prefer to open carry when I can. Just because I want people to get use to seeing them and eventually learn not to panic. If you like the shoulder holster idea. There is a company out there that has an undershirt that has two pockets and medium to small gun can easily fit and wear as if a shoulder holster. Two problems with that... they are expensive and you'd need 7 of them for 7 days of the week... depending on how many times you do laundry. Second problem... I can't remember the company... but I know they are out there. Good luck to you.

moke

I worked in LE for a long time and tried everything you can imagine. Our quartermaster even had various things for us to try. Everyone used to carry in shoulder holster of sorts or "jackass" leather ( it's a brand ) then most everyone went to Fobus holsters. They were ok, but then I went back to uniform, but when I was in "civies" I went back to my Jack ass rig. By far it was the most comfortable and if by chance you had to take your coat off in public, you could slip off the rig inside your coat and no one was the wiser.

I've been watching this and just want to add a bit. Here in Montana you can open or conceal carry. I do have a concealed carry license. While at home I normally don't carry but with hunting season starting tomorrow that will probably change. Way too many people don't respect a "Private Property, No Trespassing, No Hunting or Trapping" sign or "Private Road". And I've got two miles of road to "Patrol" every hunting season. Doesn't include the idiots who think a gate is meant to be walked around even with signs posted on the gate, let alone orange stakes placed all over the borders of the property. You wouldn't believe what I've had encounters with, and not animals, I guess the word "Stupid" would fit some people. During hunting season I carry my .357mag in a quick draw style holster on my left hip, I'm right handed thus the quick draw style. I also carry my AR with a 30 round mag "just in case", it did help last year although shots weren't fired, just that it was visible, problem deterred.
All of my holsters are custom made by either myself of another leather worker, and to be honest his work is much, much better. I've got leather holsters for the .357, my .44mag, .45 ACP, 380 semi auto, 9mm semi auto and my .22. I'm looking into picking up a Kel Tec PMR 30 once we move to be used on Badgers who might want to take up residence near the home site. It will also have a leather holster...once I pick one up. Big plus, my wife loves the PMR she tried and can't wait to claim it for herself. I'll lose the .380 and probably the PMR. Happy wife, Happy life...

sbwertz

I've been watching this and just want to add a bit. Here in Montana you can open or conceal carry. I do have a concealed carry license. While at home I normally don't carry but with hunting season starting tomorrow that will probably change. Way too many people don't respect a "Private Property, No Trespassing, No Hunting or Trapping" sign or "Private Road". And I've got two miles of road to "Patrol" every hunting season. Doesn't include the idiots who think a gate is meant to be walked around even with signs posted on the gate, let alone orange stakes placed all over the borders of the property. You wouldn't believe what I've had encounters with, and not animals, I guess the word "Stupid" would fit some people. During hunting season I carry my .357mag in a quick draw style holster on my left hip, I'm right handed thus the quick draw style. I also carry my AR with a 30 round mag "just in case", it did help last year although shots weren't fired, just that it was visible, problem deterred.
All of my holsters are custom made by either myself of another leather worker, and to be honest his work is much, much better. I've got leather holsters for the .357, my .44mag, .45 ACP, 380 semi auto, 9mm semi auto and my .22. I'm looking into picking up a Kel Tec PMR 30 once we move to be used on Badgers who might want to take up residence near the home site. It will also have a leather holster...once I pick one up. Big plus, my wife loves the PMR she tried and can't wait to claim it for herself. I'll lose the .380 and probably the PMR. Happy wife, Happy life...
One of the problems is that so many hunters are drunk! My dad and I were packing out our deer. He had it on his back. A drunk shot the deer off his back! Then he came and tried to tell us we were stealing his deer.

DrD

A bunch of years ago a close friend was a game warden out in Tom B's territory - Montana. He and his partner were off loading their saddled horses from a plainly marked horse trailer hitched to a plainly marked pickup and shots rang out. Both horses dropped. "Hunters" came scrambling to get their elk.

One of the problems is that so many hunters are drunk! My dad and I were packing out our deer. He had it on his back. A drunk shot the deer off his back! Then he came and tried to tell us we were stealing his deer.

That wouldn't fly with me. Shoot at me and I'm shooting back, drunk or not. And I hate to sound boastful, but I don't miss. I'm Navy trained and also a High Power, used to be, professional shooter. Like I bet a friend a number of years ago, I can put a .30cal bullet in a gnats ass at 200yds. I've also shot "Master" at a 1,000 yards for many years. I take my hunting very seriously and I don't break the rules. I don't drink so shooting or hunting drunk doesn't happen. My biggest problem is poachers on my property. A few years back we had bear hunters (poachers) that I caught here on my property. It got pretty ugly for a while but I quickly deescalated the problem. Guns have a place and some times they come in handy. But, if you're going to go the gun route you'd better be sure that you're willing to follow through. As for you and your dad, Sharon, I might have subdued the gentlemen and called the authorities. I've got a great relationship with our local FWP rangers, if I call they know somethings not right.

sbwertz

That wouldn't fly with me. Shoot at me and I'm shooting back, drunk or not. And I hate to sound boastful, but I don't miss. I'm Navy trained and also a High Power, used to be, professional shooter. Like I bet a friend a number of years ago, I can put a .30cal bullet in a gnats ass at 200yds. I've also shot "Master" at a 1,000 yards for many years. I take my hunting very seriously and I don't break the rules. I don't drink so shooting or hunting drunk doesn't happen. My biggest problem is poachers on my property. A few years back we had bear hunters (poachers) that I caught here on my property. It got pretty ugly for a while but I quickly deescalated the problem. Guns have a place and some times they come in handy. But, if you're going to go the gun route you'd better be sure that you're willing to follow through. As for you and your dad, Sharon, I might have subdued the gentlemen and called the authorities. I've got a great relationship with our local FWP rangers, if I call they know somethings not right.
I was shot by a quail hunter out riding my horse one day. He wasn't paying attention to his background, and peppered me and the horse with bird shot. It got real lively there for a few minutes, and by the time I got the horse back under control, he was long gone. He was obviously shooting birds on the ground, too, because I was riding in a dry wash a couple of feet deep, and he got us both.

I was shot by a quail hunter out riding my horse one day. He wasn't paying attention to his background, and peppered me and the horse with bird shot. It got real lively there for a few minutes, and by the time I got the horse back under control, he was long gone. He was obviously shooting birds on the ground, too, because I was riding in a dry wash a couple of feet deep, and he got us both.

I've been shot at, but never shot. Glad to hear you weren't more seriously hurt especially riding a horse. The horse could have done more damage than the pellets. All I can say about the shooter (he's no hunter) was that he was a coward and probably was shooting illegally.

Did you check his ID... might have been Mr. Cheney. :eek::D:D

sbwertz

Yea, all the pellets did was raise welts. But believe me, in AZ you have a LOT of motivation to stay on top of the horse. Cactus.

I'm Navy trained
I'm navy trained too... in boot camp we were supposed to go to the firing range and fire M1 Carbines.... I had a dental appointment on that date and the chief wouldn't let me cancel or re-schedule and he wouldn't re-schedule my trip to the firing range.... my records indicate that I'm a qualified marksman with an M1.... never had one in my hands.
Then as a second class petty officer, I mentioned to the second class gunner's mate on the ship that I had never fired the .45 which I think I was supposed to be qualified with, especially since I had to wear one on Guam after Typhoon Karen blew away the radio shack and I had to run messenger up to ComNavMar to get base messages and our temporary radio room wasn't secure.... he grabbed a .45, took me onto the fantail and handed it to me and told me to shoot a weather balloon that had just been launched... he said not to worry, the .45 wouldn't penetrate the balloon, but he could tell if I hit it.... not sure about hitting the balloon, but I'm pretty sure I hit the Pacific ocean.

SpiritRider

In the backwards state of Illinois we are lucky that we can even look at guns. I was bow hunting in a tree stand and surrounded by a pack of feral dogs. Since then I carried a. 22 pistol. It was small enough to hide from the game wardens.
Soon after I was shot in the back while in the same stand. Private property and I was the only one allowed to hunt. A jerk from Chicago was out 'teaching' his son to hunt the right way. I lite into him for about an hour. Sorry to say I scared the boy really bad but I think he learned something. My wife picked buckshot out of my backside for a few days and the jerk got 4 flat tires somehow

Top Bottom