Gum Balls in Teal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OldWrangler

OldWrangler

I was going for more of a turquoise but wound up getting teal. Well, its only an experiment and it will get better. These gum balls that litter my driveway needed to go and here are about 4 of them. They are hard to turn and I really think I've got to get a pressure pot to do these right. For every good one I turn, 3 explode on the lathe. At least I'm not wasting an expensive pen kit. This is just a RT gold Euro. Take a look......

Attachments

• gum balls.jpg
    gum balls.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 467
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Y'know, that almost looks like tru-stone webbing that so many people have been trying to replicate. That's the closest thing I've seen to it.

bitshird

George, are you using Alumilite or Silmar 41 type PR ?? the pen looks real nice, it actually does look like Turquoise with a nice matrix.

markgum

yeah; i'm confused. (but that is getting easier to do each day...) gum ball in the driveway??? I chase the little twit down that put it there an make them scrape it up with a putty knife....

Jim Smith

Gums Balls are what some people call the seed pod from the Sweetgum tree. They are about the size of a "real" gum ball, but full of holes from where the seeds were. They are also a real pain in the foot if you ever step on one with bare feet.

Jim Smith

OldWrangler

Jim is right. It is the seed ball from the Sweet Gum tree. They fall in profusion and cover the ground about a month before the tree loses all it's leaves. It is one of the first trees in Texas to turn color and drop leaves. Leaf looks almost like a Maple. It is kinda a 5 pointed star. Wood is also good for pens. It has color and figure most times. Here's what the balls look like.

Attachments

• IMG_1994[1].jpg
    IMG_1994[1].jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 136

bitshird

Seems like they would need to be stabilized, I know they hurt like the devil on bare feet, but aren't they quite a bit softer and more porous than a pine cone? probably need to keep them soaked in CA while you turn and soak turn and soak, sure does make a pretty pen though.

jskeen

I like that color resin, it really does look almost like kingman turquoise.

I do my "hurricane Ike" pens with those using casting craft PR and cast them inside 3/4 inch pvc molds. a few vac/pressure cycles does a pretty good job of getting the bubbles out and the resin into the balls to stabilize them. One thing I have found is that it seems to look more uniform if you pack the balls together to eliminate spaces between them, but that may just be a personal preference.

James

OldWrangler

Here's 2 more I made today. Both blanks turned great. Nothing exploded or cracked. I cast another in a different color today and will do that one tomorrow.

Attachments

• gum ball 2.jpg
    gum ball 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom