Guess the wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Queso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

It took me a full week to complete this pen, working every night. Care to guess what it is made of?

20053181348_new%20puppy%20001.jpg

200531813425_new%20puppy%20002.jpg

200531813436_new%20puppy%20003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Queso

OK, I guess no one's in the mood for guessing games. Pen is made of manzanita root. The challenge was filling in the void and keeping the ends from shattering. It was also my first shot at using TSW. It didn't turn out as nice as I hoped, but I don't have a buffer either.

JimGo

Wow, that's pretty cool! Actually, if you look at the number of times this was viewed, a LOT of people WANTED to guess, but couldn't!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Queso
<br />OK, I guess no one's in the mood for guessing games. Pen is made of manzanita root. The challenge was filling in the void and keeping the ends from shattering. It was also my first shot at using TSW. It didn't turn out as nice as I hoped, but I don't have a buffer either.
Paul, as a buffer substitute, I bought a lambswool paint roller. With the blanks on the lathe and coated with TSW, I hold the roller, cut on the lathe, and buff that way. Also, Bruce Boone was selling polders for the roller that would fit on your lathe. He may still have some.

woodscavenger

Almost has a simliar but darker grain pattern than some big leaf maple burl I have turned. I saw one of thos roots the other day but passed on it. I looked way too daunting to get everything cut down to a descent pen blank.

dougle40

Nice pen and different wood .
Another good buffer is the bottom of a "wallpaper" smoothing tool . Get one from the "buck" store that has the foam handle and take the buffing part off the bottom . It should just peel off . Makes a great buffing tool .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom