Group Buys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

I just thought I'd take a second to say Thank you to all those that make "group buys" work. How lucky we are to have the IAP and other groups that bring us penmakers together. With so many people working on their own, they just don't have the opportunity to participate and save so much money. I find it hard to believe that there are so many turners that have never heard of the IAP and other groups. What a loss for them.

With such great group buys, great tricks and tips, wonderful products offered by other members at great prices, and great friendships, how much have I saved and gained as a member? I really couldn't say.

What a great time for us all to think about the last time we clicked on that donate button on the front page.

When is the last time you donated?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Johnathan,
I always like to see posts like yours. I've been around long enough to be considered an old fart as far as members of penturning groups are concerned. I would like to ad that I probably would have stopped making pens a long time ago had it not been for this group,as well as the Yahoo Penturners Group.
I would have made pens for all my friends and family, heard all the comments about how I should sell them (not as easy as most people think it is) and eventually ran out of reasons to make any more. My mandrel and possibly my lathe would be rusting away in my shop and every time I saw them I would be thinking. sure wish I could find a way to sell enough of those to be making some right now.
thanks to these group here is how I think my life is different today.
I learned how to get a finish that is what I always wanted on my pens. who would have thought the secret was super glue?
I have learned to get a decent picture of my pens from many many members of this group contributing a bit here and a bit there. many of them have no idea they contibuted.
I also learned to build a web site from the members of these groups. again many of the don't even know they helped. I have looked at other sites and taken ideas from what I like best.I have also read numerous comments penturners have made about other web sites. change this and do that. even yesterday I added e-mail info to all my web pages due to a comment made about anouther turners site.
I think I have a good price for all my pens thanks to these groups.
and finally I always have ideas of new things to try. I don't experiment nearly as much as some of the other members do but any time I want to pick that part up I can.
basically this and other groups has kept penturning interesting enough that I still have my mandrel and lathe in clean fresh well used order.
thanks everyone.

Ligget

I agree with Daniel too, working alone with very limited knowledge and ideas you would soon get disheartened.

Finding the IAP has opened up so many doors, there is also many things that you still want to try after learning about them here.

Group buys are brilliant too, being a thrifty Scotsman you can`t be too careful with money!! LOL[;)]

Friendships are formed with turners who think alike and know what you are experiencing and are always keen to help.

Time for my medication....[xx(]

Dario

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />
... how much have I saved and gained as a member? I really couldn't say.

What a great time for us all to think about the last time we clicked on that donate button on the front page.

When is the last time you donated?

IAP definitely helped me both as a person and as a penmaker. I can't put myself up with the likes of Anthony, Rich, Tom, Wayne, James, etc. but I strongly believe my learning was jump started here. So I fully agree, I too can't measure (dollar wise) how much I gained from IAP. No amount of DVD and magazine subscription can match what we all learn here.

Hmmm, when did I last contributed?

I can't recall actually sending (my personal) money directly to Jeff, I think I never did [:D]...but I try to donate some of my wood for sale, auction, and raffle to generate funds for IAP. I just hope I can do/give more but I am in the "wood rich, dollar poor" category [:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom