Group buy on lumber?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

I've heard group buys mentioned around here, usually for taps and dies. I'm just curious if anyone has done this with lumber for blanks? I can't justify buying a beautiful board because I want some blanks out of it when it's more than I'll ever use. I was nosing around at cookwoods.com and came across so many nice boards, this Angelique for example. I also see they are having a 25% off sitewide sale.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I've heard group buys mentioned around here, usually for taps and dies. I'm just curious if anyone has done this with lumber for blanks? I can't justify buying a beautiful board because I want some blanks out of it when it's more than I'll ever use. I was nosing around at cookwoods.com and came across so many nice boards, this Angelique for example. I also see they are having a 25% off sitewide sale.
Following. I'm curios where this will go. We would consider if this becomes a thing.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
If you want to run a group buy, please read this post for guidelines.
Keep in mind that you can also purchase the items yourself and then resell them.
In the case of the lumber posted, you could buy it, cut it for blanks and then sell the blanks.

Amanap

Shipping cost will be an issue with a group buy. The cost of distributing from whomever makes the purchase to the others in the group could erase any benefits of the group buy.

derekdd

Dave, aka @egnald , put together a group buy a month or so ago for some cocobolo.

He was very kind and efficient in handling that for several of us.

I often buy from Cook Woods then saw the boards into pen blanks. I've bought a good bit from them the past 2-3 years, and their quality is always top notch.

sorcerertd

I figured it would probably be something more between a couple members and also considered just selling some in the marketplace. Truthfully, I really don't need to be looking at anything more right now. I have so many blanks, and kits, and... but wait.... Black Friday sales are coming. Uh-oh.

derekdd

I figured it would probably be something more between a couple members and also considered just selling some in the marketplace. Truthfully, I really don't need to be looking at anything more right now. I have so many blanks, and kits, and... but wait.... Black Friday sales are coming. Uh-oh.
If you see something you like from Cook, let me know. I might go in on it with you.

I certainly have the capability of cutting it up however you'd lik.

Top Bottom