Grizzly Tent Sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbg230

I'm new at pen turning, but after about a dozen pens I realized that in order to save some money on blanks, be able to turn some tree limbs into blanks, and be able to do more advanced techniques with segmenting, it pays to have a bandsaw. I use the pens I've made as a networking tool for my day job business, so I haven't really made any direct income from this costly hobby.
So therefore I set limits on the cost of tools.

One way to save is by buying at the bi-annual Grizzly scratch and dent tent sale. Grizzly only has two stores. I'm about 2 1/2 hours away the Springfield, MO store. I read some posts on some other forums about the tent sale experience and learned that in order to get a deal on a machine you're looking for, you have to get there extremely early. They have an enormous showroom which I hadn't seen, so I chalked it up to an adventure. But I figured if I was going to make the trip, I was going to make it worthwhile. I left my house about 9:30 pm and got to their parking lot at midnight. There were already a few people "camping out" at the entrance gait to the sales tents. Grizzly had 5 huge tents of all kinds of shop items and machines. Dewalt and Forrest Mfg. also had a separate tent offering promotions on their products.
I set up my SUV so I could sleep in the back and I set my alarm. At about 3:30 am I noticed a few more people setting up their folding chairs in line. At 4:00 am I got out my beach chair and sleeping bag, set up in the "line", started to read a book and fell asleep. At 6 am there were many more people lining up. I couldn't see the end of the line. Great people though- talking about bass fishing, drag racing, turning bowls, making parts on metal lathes, what upgrades they were after, and stories about how they were justifying it to their wives.

At 7 am the Grizzly staff took down the poly tent walls so you could sort of get an idea as to how many machines were lined up in a particular tent. (It gave you an idea as to how much "competition" you'd have) The staff gave out maps of how the tents were set up, explaining what was in each tent. They also gave out some coupons and a free metal ruler.

At 7:57 am, they opened the gates. Since it wasn't single file, more like a mass stampede, I was out in front. I think I was the first one in the bandsaw tent. I could feel the other band saw buyers on my heels though. The machines all are labeled with the condition of the machine and what if anything is wrong with it. Some machines are missing parts or the motor vibrates or the unit is scratched or dented. These are sold As Is. Others are brand new with full warranty-maybe a return or had a water stain or something extremely minor.

I was interested in a 14" bandsaw. I don't have room for a bench top model and for this particular shop item, didn't want to buy at Harbor Freight. Grizzly machines are made in Taiwan and it looks like that some items (entry level lathes) are the same thing that is sold at H.F. Bandsaws are not one of them. They have the largest selection of bandsaws in the world! I opted against their $16,000 horizontal model.

Once you find one you like, you tear off the bottom portion of the tag in the machine. It is now considered "spoken for". You have 2 hours to purchase it. If you decide you don't want it, the staff will tape your ticket back up on the machine and it'll be up for grabs again. You can and probably should bargain with them, but since all the bandsaws were "sold" in a matter of minutes, I don't think they would have budged. The truth is, I was so excited and sleep deprived at the same time, I forgot that I could have offered a lower price. I picked the 14" Deluxe G0555LX model with cast iron wheels, fence, miter gauge, and heavy duty stand. http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX?utm_campaign=zPage It's a beautiful machine. I saved $200. There's nothing wrong with it and it purs like a kitten. If need be, I can buy a higher resaw fence and a riser block to allow for a 12" high cutting capacity. I walked around the other tents and wondered if I would do this again next year for a planer or a jointer. They also had tons of odds and ends at fair prices. I went into the showroom and bought a drill press vise and a lathe dust collector hood. The store can keep you dreaming for hours if you're not careful. The line to check out was even fun, since I talked to some others in line about the bargains they got. Lots of people walked away with loads of Dewalt products. Many people come in groups and each person goes after a particular machine. They haul off major machinery on their trailers.

All in all, I did what I set out to do. There are beautiful rolling hills in the Ozarks, so I made it even more worthwhile by going on a hike. I got a great shop tool at a discounted price and had a great time in the process. I slept in on Sunday and I'm ready to explore what a bandsaw can do for me.

I really thought this would be a one time adventure for me, but if anyone in the area wants to check out the tent sale next June, I might be persuaded.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Grizzly used to have a plant in Pa. About 3 hours from me.
When they closed it, they published a statement a week before closing for good. A guy I know went up there the night before with a moving truck.

He slept in the truck overnight & was one of the first in line the next day.
He bought a truck full of brand new stuff in minutes.
Then he sold it all down here & made a killing on the profits.
He told me he was buying brand new $3500 tools for $1500 because Grizzly didn't want to pay s&h on them to Mo.

Edit: He told me he more than doubled his money from his trip, and paid for his tools on top of it even after that.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
That is the model that I have. Bought it 4 years ago at $425.00 plus shipping to MS. I am enjoying it.

I have a daughter that lives 20 miles from Grizzly. I just could not make it to the tent sale, but sure wanted to! Most people I know want to go to Springfield to the biggest BassPro, but I go for Grizzly! :)

Congratulations!

JimB

When they had the PA location I went several times to the tent sale. The first time was to get a bandsaw but I wasn't there early enough and had to buy it in the showroom. I got the G0555, very similar to yours. I've purchased other items over the years at the tent sales and also the sale when they closed the PA location. My full size lathe is from them. My air cleaner was half price at the tent sale. I've bought a lot of other small stuff from them as well. Even though the PA location was almost 3 hours away it was a great trip every time I went.

Sataro

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got yourself a bargain plus had an adventure along the way!

BSea

Thanks for the tent sale review. Now I know I'll never go.:eek:

Saving $200 is nice, but I'd rather wait for it to go on sale, save $75 to $100, and not have to get in line at 4 in the morning. :sleepy: My son says I'm getting old. . . . . . . He may be right.:wink:

But I'm happy you got what you wanted. 25 years ago, I'd probably have done the same thing.

jttheclockman

In my are we used to have a big tool dealership and every summer they would have a tent sale in their parking lot and also the store but they mainly were a Delta dealership. I bought most of my shop machines from them over those sales. Tools used for demos and a few scratches will never hurt a tool. Good luck and enjoy and use them in good health.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Saving $200 is nice, but I'd rather wait for it to go on sale, save $75 to $100, and not have to get in line at 4 in the morning. :sleepy: My son says I'm getting old. . . . . . . He may be right.:wink:
But I'm happy you got what you wanted. 25 years ago, I'd probably have done the same thing.

Bob,
The tent sales don't appeal to me if I have to fight the crowds for position to get a tool. But MORE appealing to me is that fact that even though I will have to pay sales taxes, I save a bunch on shipping if I go there when it is on sale. Most people don't know it but they have small "Springfield" area "What to do" booklets in the store that has a $20 coupon for $100 or more purchases. I have used this on several occasions over the past 3 years.

Grizzly charges across the board too much, IMO, for shipping. So for me, when I need something big, I go there and get a trip out of it for the price of shipping - and as an added bonus, get to visit with my daughter and LOML goes to Branson for a day.

JimB

You don't always need to get there early to get a great deal. Yes, some items, like bandsaws tend go very quickly but there is a lot of stuff at great prices. The last one I went to I arrived shortly after it opened and was able to buy exactly what I was looking for, an air cleaner. It was the exact model I wanted and I got it for half price saving me more than $75. I also picked up some other items. They also still had a couple bandsaws available when I arrived.

Last edited:
Top Bottom