Grizzly G8688 Mini lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Looking for some current thoughts on the Grizzly mini 7x12? Will be my first metal lathe-have lots to learn. What are your experiences/pros/cons?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I made many a pen on mine. It is perfectly adequate for the majority of pens. It's cheap relative to other lathes in that class, it cuts threads, and there are plenty of accessories for it. I wish it had a lever locking tailstock and a dedicated auto feed, but such is life.

Dehn0045

Lots of options in that size and price range, but my understanding is that most of the different brands are manufactured in the same factory. The difference being specification tolerances (and how well they are managed) and the different components. Personally I wouldn't buy another lathe without a brushless motor. I'd give this micromark a good look: https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe

Added benefit of brushless is forward and reverse on the fly (I think this is a universal feature anyway, Micromark advertises reverse on this particular lathe. ***edit: it looks like the micromark actually reverses with mechanical gears on a lever). This can make threading easy because you don't have to disengage, just move the tool out in reverse. You can also thread and do other operations moving AWAY from the headstock. I think they also usually have faster braking (but I'm not sure this is universal)

The grizzly is $1020 shipped and the micromark is $1080, definitely worth the difference in my opinion

I don't think you'll find one in this price range that has a dedicated auto feed. Here is a decent comparison: https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe

Last edited:

RobS

Lots of options in that size and price range, but my understanding is that most of the different brands are manufactured in the same factory. The difference being specification tolerances (and how well they are managed) and the different components. Personally I wouldn't buy another lathe without a brushless motor. I'd give this micromark a good look: https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe

Added benefit of brushless is forward and reverse on the fly (I think this is a universal feature anyway, Micromark advertises reverse on this particular lathe. ***edit: it looks like the micromark actually reverses with mechanical gears on a lever). This can make threading easy because you don't have to disengage, just move the tool out in reverse. You can also thread and do other operations moving AWAY from the headstock. I think they also usually have faster braking (but I'm not sure this is universal)

The grizzly is $1020 shipped and the micromark is $1080, definitely worth the difference in my opinion

I don't think you'll find one in this price range that has a dedicated auto feed. Here is a decent comparison: https://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe
The microlux appears to be on the same platform as the littlemachine shop: https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5100&category=1271799306

There is a high likelihood that the following would be compatible with the microlux:
Little machine shop sells an er32 collet holder: https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2532&category=

and a Lath dog: https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=4464&category=

I run the Little MACHINE Shop 7500 series

Dehn0045

@RobS I just realized that I goofed up the link for the comparison table, here is what I intended to link: https://littlemachineshop.com/info/minilathe_compare.php

I agree, the LMS and Micromark look practically identical. With obvious similarities to the grizzly and HF. The MM offers an upgraded package that includes metal change gears and nicer handles, but probably not worth the extra $200 IMHO.

Also to clarify - I own a Precision Matthews PM-1228, and I don't have direct experience with any other metal lathes. I'm a novice, but I wanted to get a lathe that I could learn and grow into rather than grow out of. I spent quite a bit of time researching all of the options and deciding what features I wanted and what I could do without. The only thing that I got that I could probably live without is the power crossfeed, but it is nice to have. The one thing that I skipped, and haven't missed, is the DRO -- I can always add it later if I decide I want it. So, although I don't really have direct experience with the G8688 class, the PM-1228 is the first tool have have with a brushless motor and I am totally sold on them, the low end torque is awesome.

Another brand that I considered was Weiss offered by DroPros ( https://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Weiss_Lathes.htm ). Obviously I went with the PM machine, but the Wiess and LMS offerings were close second/third. The funny thing is that I went into my lathe buying with the Grizzly in 1st place, but it ended up being in 4th after all was said and done.

Bats

Added benefit of brushless is forward and reverse on the fly (I think this is a universal feature anyway, Micromark advertises reverse on this particular lathe. ***edit: it looks like the micromark actually reverses with mechanical gears on a lever).
Be careful with reverse on lathes. Just because the motor/headstock can support it doesn't mean that the chuck will stay on when you suddenly slam it into reverse from a dead stop (or, worse, from full forward). A little 5" chuck isn't as terrifying as an 8" (or 12" or...), but it's still not much fun when it pops off while spinning, dings the ways, and then goes tearing off across the shop like that unicyclist from B.C. :
BC quest for tires.gif

(how is it that the only animated GIF of this guy that I could find on the net is from the early 80s Moon Patrol knockoff?)

The description is a little ambiguous, though - it may just refer to a tumble gear reverse, which just reverses the direction of the leadscrew/power feed while the chuck keeps going forwards. That's perfectly safe (or as safe as anything else on a lathe), and, as mentioned, is great for threading (especially if you ever need to turn a left-hand thread) and almost essential for turning away from the headstock. I suspect (read: guess) this is also what Grizzly is referring to by "Forward and reverse in all speeds".

Attachments

• BC quest for tires.gif
    BC quest for tires.gif
    216.6 KB · Views: 145

Dehn0045

@Bats on mine (PM-1228) the manual specifically states that you can switch from forward to reverse without pausing or powering down. The digital controller brings it to a stop and then ramps it up to the set speed. Headstock is D1-4 as well. But yeah - "refer to your owners manual". This might be a special feature of my machine - I don't really know.

I think that the MM and LMS referred to above use a switch for forward/reverse on the headstock and gears with a lever for switching direction of the lead screw, allowing you all 4 possible combinations. I haven't looked into whether the switch can be changed on the fly, but it looks like you probably would want to stop the machine when changing the gears or they'd probably explode (the gears that is, I think they're plastic unless upgraded). My understanding is that most metal lathe chucks are good for forward/reverse, unlike most/many wood lathe chucks, but again "refer to your owners manual".

Bats

@Bats on mine (PM-1228) the manual specifically states that you can switch from forward to reverse without pausing or powering down. The digital controller brings it to a stop and then ramps it up to the set speed. Headstock is D1-4 as well. But yeah - "refer to your owners manual". This might be a special feature of my machine - I don't really know.
I've never used a D1-4 (all of my lathes have simple threaded spindles), but if I understand them properly, yeah, they'd be perfectly happy with a quick reverse. A little more digging says that the Grizzly has an "intrinsic backplate" spindle - which sounds like a flange that the chuck bolts to. I imagine that would also be ok with reversing, but it would may be hard to find alternative chucks for it (4-jaw, collet, etc), and definitely sounds like it'd be a pain in the ass to swap them.

edit: Now that I look at the LMS table, it sounds like all the 7" models work the same way, so my arguments should probably be ignored like the uninformed tripe they are.

I haven't looked into whether the switch can be changed on the fly, but it looks like you probably would want to stop the machine when changing the gears or they'd probably explode (the gears that is, I think they're plastic unless upgraded).
Yeah, you'd definitely want to stop before throwing the tumble gears. On my South Bend Light 10 (all cast iron and steel) it's possible to flip them with the spindle running, if you get it just right... but usually it grinds the gears and makes terrible noises and tells you that it'll spit teeth in your face if you ever try a stupid move like that again, moron.

My understanding is that most metal lathe chucks are good for forward/reverse, unlike most/many wood lathe chucks, but again "refer to your owners manual".
It very much depends from one to another - the old South Bends and I think most of their derivatives (Logan, Hercus, maybe Myford, etc) used threaded spindles. It sounds like most of the 7" models are bolt-on. When you start getting into bigger modern lathes, things like the D1-4 become more common. So, yeah, "refer to your owner's manual", get to know your machine, and then use your common sense to fill in the blanks. If you don't have any, borrow someone else's common sense. Preferably someone who knows something about machine tools.

keithbyrd

I appreciate all the comments and you guys had me going to the Micromark or LMS but I found a new G8688 still in the box selling on Facebook for $700. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but I gave him a deposit since I will be on vacation for the next 10 days. Will check it out then.

randyrls

I made many a pen on mine. It is perfectly adequate for the majority of pens. It's cheap relative to other lathes in that class, it cuts threads, and there are plenty of accessories for it. I wish it had a lever locking tailstock and a dedicated auto feed, but such is life.
John; You can get a lever tail stock retro fit kit for 7x metal lathes. It requires drilling the tail stock, but can be done pretty easily.
https://www.littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2018&category=

Penultimate

Tariffs and increasing raw material costs have made the 7x XX lathes expensive. Like John said I don't think they are worth $1000. I think you could find a used lathe for that price.

Top Bottom