Grinder sharpening jigs - one size fits all?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Uncle_Lou

So I have been trying to figure out a more reliable/repeatable method to sharpen my HSS tools when it occurred to me that my dad's beat up old Ryobi grinder is collecting dust in the basement. Are the various grinder jigs available for sharpening designed to fit any grinder, or is it only certain models? If I can make it work, I will absolutely go ahead and slap a CBN wheel and a jig on this thing. Won't be as convenient, being in a separate location from the lathe I use but better than nothing! Photo of the grinder in question attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20230623_042819182.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230623_042819182.MP.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 81
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul-H

It would best to figure out which type of jig you are interested in then download the instructions and see if they show mounting dimensions.

Most are pretty universal but like to work with a 6 or 8 inch grinder.

Fro your photo I suspect your grinder will play well with most current jigs.

Hold off getting the cbm wheel until you are comfortable using it with its current wheels.

MedWoodWorx

Tormek makes a bar kit that can be used with such a grinder if u r interested or else u must buy something like the wolverine jig.

P.s. that holder shown is for drill bit sharpening?

leehljp

Member Liaison
If purchasing a CBN wheel, look for the self aligning washers. Very Helpful.

Uncle_Lou

It would best to figure out which type of jig you are interested in then download the instructions and see if they show mounting dimensions.

Most are pretty universal but like to work with a 6 or 8 inch grinder.

Fro your photo I suspect your grinder will play well with most current jigs.

Hold off getting the cbm wheel until you are comfortable using it with its current wheels.
This is an 8" wheel with a 5/8" arbor, which I think is fairly standard. I will take a look at some of the jig setups; ideally I'd like to be able to sharpen not only skews but gouges as well. Also, the current grinding wheel is pretty shot - there are gaps in the grinding surface all over it so it will need to have the wheel replaced regardless. I don't mind holding off on a CBN wheel until I am comfortable with a standard wheel; what grit would you recommend starting with?

leehljp

Member Liaison
One of the advantages of the CBN wheel is that it does not heat up like stone wheels do. While the fast speed may require more delicate touch in grinding, it will not heat up the tool like other wheels do.

3000 RPM grinders work well with CBN sharpening wheels.

While a search for this can be found in several places, here is one such answer on Sawmillcreek:

Heat is the enemy and CBNs help tremendously; CBN only works with HSS, not soft steel or carbide.

Top Bottom