Grenade Pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGVPens

Has anyone made a Grenade pen?
I got a couple of these kits and just got around to making one. I cut a nice woodland camo blank to length.
Then I looked at the instructions to see what drill to use...and saw it calls for a 7/8" blank, not the 3/4" that I have...oops.

Has anyone made this with a 3/4" blank? It looks like it might work...?
Or do I need to use it on a different kit and look for a 7/8" camo blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Gary; You may be able to do that, but the drilling would have to be spot on. I would take the blank and see if the fittings will fit inside the 3/4" size of the blank. You may not have much material where the hole diameter meets the flat of the blank. I have made Cambridge pens from 3/4" blanks.

Clamp the blank gently while drilling and use the cut long, drill short method to keep the drill bit from breaking out of the far end of the blank.

Maybe glue plywood as "strenghteners" around the blank.

RGVPens

I drill on the lathe. The larger bushing looked like it would fit. Not sure what the plastic is, but the other blanks I drilled last night felt easy like Alumilite.

I also thought about rounding off the corners then switching to sandpaper for the thin sides so the tool doesn't chip it.
Might try it later today.

sorcerertd

I can't speak to that specific kit, but I've used smaller than suggested blanks quite a few times. The suggested size just allows some room for error. I make errors, but haven't had much trouble with blanks wide enough to fit the bushings. The pool cue pens are a great example.

greenacres2

Nib end shows .570", cap or clip end at .650". If the blank is right on .750" the cap gives you just about 1/16" per side. Doable, but as noted drilling got to be right. Walls are pretty thick. Close, but you can do it!!
Earl

Top Bottom