Greetings to all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Roger Wilco

Hello to everybody! New here. New to pen turning. Recently retired. Just started this wonderful....hobby? (I think some folks make/sell their pens, so it's more than a hobby for them. Meant no offense.) Anyway, I've made about 12 pens so far. I like to take wood from people that had to remove a special tree, or perhaps they're doing some pruning and have some wood to give me. Made a couple pens for a friend from work. He lost a beloved eucalyptus tree in some late rain storms we had a couple years ago. I asked him to give me some of the wood so I could make him some pens from that tree. Now that I've been doing this a little while, I've got a question I'll post in the appropriate area. Seems like a great group of people! I look forward to learning from you guys.

-Ed-
San Gabriel, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Ed.
Check out the library if you havent yet. Lots of info there.
Enjoy the hobby, start saving.
Alan

Lucky2

Roger, another great idea for pens, is to get the person to give you a piece of wood from a building on their homestead. I usually use the old hardwood flooring if possible, but sometimes it's to thin to make a pen out of, even a slim-line. I've advertised this type of pen making before to people, and I've had order of up to 17 pens, for the same family. Each family member got one, well, not each or every. Just the brother's and sister's, or off-spring of the deceased. People love getting of those pens, they always have a reminder of home with them. One lady couldn't control her emotion's when she got her pen, it took me well over an hour to get out of there. I've only ever had one person be negative about the memorial pens, they didn't think it was appropriate. But the way that I look at it, is that you just can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try.

Len

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and Welcome. There are a couple of comfort style pens stashed in my office with a note on each to my two sons. The wood is some oak that came from the high chair that they had as infants. They are made from common parts and materials, but the story behind them is what makes them unique. I think what you are doing is fantastic. - Dave

KJA

Welcome mate. She's a grand hobby to be able to do. Like all here looking forward to seeing your pens.

The only "business" I thought would do is selling blanks to pay for supplies. I manage to give away a lot! One day.... maybe 🤦‍♂️

Top Bottom