Greetings - New pen turner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Deacon904

Look forward to learning from all and look forward to contributing when I can
These are my first pens ever made over the last week or so, I need to do better on the finish....
The 2 on either end are Padauk, 2 are Rosewood and the Center is a piece on scrap I picked up at Woodcraft locally.
With exception of the 1 piece, the others are CA finished with a bit of friction polish that came in my Penn State PENPAL starter kit.

Never turned before so hope these are acceptable, still have much to learn.
Would like to make some heavier weight pens in the future - Any tips for a heavy wood would be awesome

1572368644717.png

Pete

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Welcome from Northern Virginia!

You are off to a great start...keep at it and you will learn much!
I especially like the one piece in the middle.

magpens

Hi Pete !! . Welcome to IAP !!

A very nice, and quite heavy wood is Desert Ironwood ... lovely colors and lovely grain. . You can buy from a member named "wood128" ... highly recommend him for wood blanks. . You can search for him under "Members". . He even has a sale currently listed here, so give him a try.
If you need any help finding him, just let me know by starting a "conversation" with me ... or as we often say, send me a PM, which is the same thing.
PM means "private message" but the terminology recently changed when this new forum software was introduced earlier this year

I like the pens you showed above, especially the middle one with the long single barrel.

If you want to get away from slimline pens, I strongly recommend trying the PSI 30 Caliber Bolt Action, available from many vendors.
It is a very easy pen to make, and is extremely attractive.
It is so easy that you will quickly be looking for the next one to do after that. . Let me know whey you are ready for that !! :) ;)

Last edited:

Woodchipper

You are off and running! My complements on the pens, especially the one piece barrel. This is a good place to learn. I second the motion for the Library under Resources. Ask questions as this is how we learn. Welcome!

Deacon904

Hi Pete !! . Welcome to IAP !!

A very nice, and quite heavy wood is Desert Ironwood ... lovely colors and lovely grain. . You can buy from a member named "wood128" ... highly recommend him for wood blanks. . You can search for him under "Members". . He even has a sale currently listed here, so give him a try.
If you need any help finding him, just let me know by starting a "conversation" with me ... or as we often say, send me a PM, which is the same thing.
PM means "private message" but the terminology recently changed when this new forum software was introduced earlier this year

I like the pens you showed above, especially the middle one with the long single barrel.

If you want to get away from slimline pens, I strongly recommend trying the PSI 30 Caliber Bolt Action, available from many vendors.
It is a very easy pen to make, and is extremely attractive.
It is so easy that you will quickly be looking for the next one to do after that. . Let me know whey you are ready for that !! :) ;)

Thanks!
I have quite a few Cigar, Gatspy/WallStreet pen kits --- waiting on a few things to come in before starting.
Been buying kits for a while - thanks for tip on the wood..

Top Bottom