Greetings from the UK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DickBrowne

Evening all - I'm a new member, just joined from Buckinghamshire in the UK.

I turned wood at school, some 40-something years ago, and was given an old Record DML 24 lathe by my dad around 20 years ago. It's sat in the workshop ever since, being put into occasional use to turn candlesticks etc.

I'm a writer, I love pens. Specifically I love fountain pens, as my handwriting is terrible and the only way I can read plot notes etc is if I use a fountain pen - it slows my writing down enough to make it almost legible.

At a recent pen show, Mrs. B suggested I start to make my own pens, I did some research, bought some stuff and am hopefully going to receive some more stuff for my birthday next week.

I spend all day inside my own head for most of the time, so I love to work with my hands, love being outdoors (I walk and fish) and love being creative, so this looks like the hobby for me.

I've already picked up some good advice from simply clicking around the forum, and have no doubt that I will pick up more in the days and weeks (months, years...) to come.

Thank you for your help so far and thank you in advance for the help yet to arrive.

Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Richard, a warm welcome from up the road a bit. Now that we all are pretty much housebound for goodness knows how long, this is a great time to embark on a new hobby. Enjoy the ride. ;)

[QUOTE="DickBrowne, post: 2069896, member: 42320"
I spend all day inside my own head for most of the time, so I love to work with my hands, love being outdoors (I walk and fish) and love being creative, so this looks like the hobby for me.
Richard
[/QUOTE]

Welcome from Montana Dick. Great place to get a lot of professional information from some seasoned turners. And one suggestion for staying in your head...get a CD player. I had the same problem but now I listen to the classics like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy, Glenn miller and a whole bunch of pipes and massed bands. Stops all those head thoughts. And for a special time, try Bobby Darrin.

RussS

Welcome from Colorado.
Hi Tom, I'm the former mailman that delivered to your home on occasion. Here is some pens I recently completed. I hope you remember me. You gave me some persimmon wood once!

Attachments

• 20200108_180247.jpg
    20200108_180247.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 108

More4dan

Welcome Richard, you found a community here that is extremely helpful and supportive in your new hobby. I look forward to seeing pictures of your work in the near future. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

DickBrowne

Thank you everyone - I'm very much looking forward to being a member of the community and, hopefully, may even be able to make the meaningful contribution as I progress through my journey

Richard

howsitwork

Enjoy it . CD player is a good idea. Currently going through a gordon lightfoot and its relaxing when the radio starts to wear thin, even with the BBC !
I can understand why cds appeal !

DickBrowne

I recent;y upgraded the audio at home with a Sonos system and took the old dab stereo from my study into the garage. I now have the option of listening to Radio 4 Extra ( a BBC service which plays continuous radio plays) or Bluetooth from my phone - we have a family Apple Music sub and audible, so unlimited audio books and music.

We alI love music chez Browne and played drums and bass guitar in various bands when I was younger, but there is also something really relaxing about somebody reading stuff out loud.

my wife, btw, is a big Gordon Lightfoot fan

Top Bottom