Greetings from the Queen City, Cincinnati

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe M

I received a Rockler Excelsior lathe for Christmas. I enjoy the precision of making pens and small turnings. I am using a combination of traditional tools and carbide. I have tried several different species of wood so far. My favorites so far are olive, padauk, bocote and cocobolo. Hoping to learn some new techniques for small spindle work.

sample pens.jpg

Joe M

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Welcome to the forum Joe. Not familiar with your uniform or ribbons. Law enforcement, Coast Guard? Nice looking group of firsts!

Welcome Aboard from Falcon, CO

Tom, it's the "US Naval Sea Cadet Corps" Uniform

Last edited:

TDahl

Hi Joe,

Welcome from California. i like the group of pens you shared. I can't wait to see your future posts.

Welcome Aboard from Falcon, CO

Tom, it's the "US Naval Sea Cadet Corps" Uniform

I was in the Boy Scout Sea Explorers group that was all about the Navy, our leader was a Navy Captain. I thought Joe might have been a leader in that same program, but it's been 52 years and things change. Biggest adventure was we spent a week on Treasure Island in the SF Bay living just like Navy Sailors. Boy was it fun, who knew a year later I'd be enlisted in the Navy. Those were some really good times and I never got sea sick. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @Mr Vic.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Joe. GREAT set of pens to get started. Your familiarity with different woods and tool type tells me that you already are familiar with woodworking and even turning. Join in the fun here and keep posting.

howsitwork

Welcome to the forum Joe.

Wit's your connections maybe you have the opportunity to spread the hobby a bit?

Anyway nice work and suggest you try WALNUT as that can look spectacular

donstephan

Welcome from the east side. Perhaps by mid summer the pandemic may be under some control and the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild ovwg.org will be meeting again in Kennedy Heights,

Joe M

Thanks for all the kind words. I look forward to getting involved with the Ohio Valley Woodturners Guild. I saw a great deal of their work at the Appalachian Festival at Coney Island. I will try some walnut. I ordered a sample of many different woods from eBay and it did include a chunk of walnut. Found some really good prices on eBay for exotic woods.

Top Bottom