Greetings from Rocket City

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Maxwellclan11

Greetings from Huntsville, Alabama. My name is Andrew and I'm so glad I joined. Little bit about myself. I had served over 16 years in the Army when they decided I was to physically disabled and that my time was up. So I was Permanently Medically Retired with eleven screws, four plates, two rods, and a severe case of Combat PTSD. I am from a woodworking family spanning many generations. I find that I feel so much peace and healing deep in my soul when I'm working on a project. Woodworking is major therapy for me and my Combat PTSD. My grandfather passed away and inherited a lathe. However, I am in need of some help with getting started with turning pens. I don't know what tools or special equipment I will be in need of to do so. From what I'm told, pens don't take long to turn which is perfect for me because I am unable to stand for very long due to my injuries. We are living essentially paycheck to paycheck with a family of five so our budget is locked down tight. If I could only get help acquiring the essential tools or items to start turning pens. All help is severely appreciated. Please let me know if you can help me out or point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time and again I am so glad to have joined. God Bless!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Andrew. I was not medically discharged but was unable to reenlist due to injuries suffered during my Navy tour. You're right on the mark with your analogy about creating beauty as it is good for your soul and what ails you. You've got a lot former military people here, don't be afraid to reach out and touch any of us.
Have you gotten a hold of the DAV for any help? They've sure helped me a lot and will probably be able to help you too. As for tools etc., don't be surprised is you don't get help from people on this site. I don't have "extra" tools but I've got a bunch of lumber that I can easily help with blanks. Just ask.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Andrew. Been to Huntsville several times and have a couple of friends living there. Great place.

Here is our Library if you like to read: Library Index - International Association of Penturners

Within the Library is Pen Turning 101 that has some helps also.

Here is one article I put together way back when and it is almost out of date: http://content.penturners.org/library/general_reference/Getting_started_in_pen_turning.pdf

However, that "almost out of date" PDF does have a lot of the basic terminology that is helpful to those just getting started.

jeff_in_AZ

Hi Andrew and welcome from Arizona. Thank you for your service.
If I could make a suggestion, you might try some of the local
wood turning clubs in your area. There are usually lots of friendly
people that could help you get started. I scanned around on
the web a little and found 2 that might work for you, one is the
Alabama Woodturners Association, they meet in Homewood.
The other one that might be closer for you is the North Alabama
Woodturners, they are in Boaz. It looks like the group in Boaz has
a meeting this Saturday, 1/26/19. Here are some links if you would
like to check them out:

North Alabama Woodturners – an AAW Chapter
Alabama Woodturners

Top Bottom