Greetings from NW Ohio.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy328

Very new to pen turning, so new I do not yet have my workshop set up. I will be repurposing (throwing out all the junk, lol) a space I have available. While doing this I am researching all I can on tools and equipment for a good start. I welcome and appreciate any input that anyone may have. Thank you for accepting me and look forward to learning a lot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

Welcome. Before killing a credit card, I would suggest giving some thought to what areas of turning seem interesting. Too often a person buys a small lathe and tools because he or she just wants to turn pens. Then they decide to try bowls small enough to fit on their lathe. Then they want to be able to turn slightly larger bowls, and have to buy a different lathe, and perhaps larger tools. Then they become interested in lamps, and need a lathe with a longer capacity. And so on.

As mentioned in an earlier post, there is an Ohio group focused on turning pens. If you could attend one or two of their get togethers you can begin to see the different types of materials used for pen bodies, and the two types of lathe tools that can be used - traditional cutting tools like gouges and scrapers, and carbide tip tools.

It might be worth even a couple hour drive to attend a couple meetings of a more general wood turning group, for expose to turning ornaments. lidded boxes, all kinds and shapes of bowls, spindles, hollow vessels, . . . Some wood turning groups bring in demonstrators, give classes, offer mentoring, and more.

Randy328

Welcome. Before killing a credit card, I would suggest giving some thought to what areas of turning seem interesting. Too often a person buys a small lathe and tools because he or she just wants to turn pens. Then they decide to try bowls small enough to fit on their lathe. Then they want to be able to turn slightly larger bowls, and have to buy a different lathe, and perhaps larger tools. Then they become interested in lamps, and need a lathe with a longer capacity. And so on.

As mentioned in an earlier post, there is an Ohio group focused on turning pens. If you could attend one or two of their get togethers you can begin to see the different types of materials used for pen bodies, and the two types of lathe tools that can be used - traditional cutting tools like gouges and scrapers, and carbide tip tools.

It might be worth even a couple hour drive to attend a couple meetings of a more general wood turning group, for expose to turning ornaments. lidded boxes, all kinds and shapes of bowls, spindles, hollow vessels, . . . Some wood turning groups bring in demonstrators, give classes, offer mentoring, and more.
Thank you for all the advice Don. Fortunately for me I am allergic to credit cards, chopping them in half is the death they get from me, lol. This allows me time to be thoughtful about my purchases, and do a lot of research. It will probably be a few months yet before I make a purchase and get myself set up. Seeing a bunch of ' be nice' items out there. But with what I have I truly think the lathe and a good set of tools will be my most costly investments for starting. And I am currently reaching out to local turners in my area. Looking forward to making chips fly!

Top Bottom