Greetings from Las Cruces, New Mexico

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Troutlet

Greetings to the Pen Turners of the World!

What an exciting new interest Pen Turning is 'turning' out to be.

Intro: I am a 75 year old male that has been making pens for about 5 weeks now. I received my mini-lathe around the 27th of March. I believe the last time I used one was in Jr. High many, many years ago. So far I have made about 15 pens - mostly the slimline pens as I believe most beginners start with.

I have a background in art and psychology. I have a MFA in Ceramics and a MA in Counseling so life has been a split career track. While I have no lathe experience I have been making furniture for about 20 years and have a complete wood shop with the equipment that is helpful in creating blanks and preparing them for turning as many here do.

Fortunately, being a wood worker I have picked up many pieces of exotics over the years so have no worry about running out of pen material. We recently had some mesquite removed and was able to scarf up several limbs to put back for future pens.

I use pastels quite a bit and make my own so I have many pure pigments of color to experiment with so have already begun casting blanks and adding pure colors to the resins. The results have been so so but there is much room for more experimentation and I will post a couple of photos to the 'show my pens' forum for comments and critique.

One thing that is really neat about this organization is the 'International' aspect with pen enthusiasts form all over the world and the access to many pen materials that are native to the various countries.

I am continually amazed at the quality of craftsmanship and creativity I see on these pages.

Anyway...hello.

Kirby Benson (troutlet)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gratz

Spent some time out there while at previous job, swing by La Posta and have some red con carne for me!

Welcome!

jjjaworski

Welcome Kirby. I am sure you will have fun making pens. It is very addictive.
Too bad we don't have a woodturning club here in Las Cruces.

Top Bottom