Greetings from Georgia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watchman7

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Mike Goetz and I live in Cumming, Georgia. I started pen turning in 2002 after watching a demonstration at a wood woodworking show. At the time I was working on a woodworking project that had nothing to do with pens. Needless to say I got the bug and started turning pens back then. Unfortunately, I had to step away from pen turning back in 2004 due to some medical issues. My wife and I also moved and I lost my shop space.

Recently I was looking at my tools that had been stored away and decided to at least finish turning all the pen kits in my old inventory. At present I am setting up my shop in one half of the garage and hope to be turning pens again soon.

I am absolutely amazed at the progress that has been made with the pen kits from the manufacturers. I'm even more amazed at some of the pens I have seen on this site. My goal is to make some pens worthy of showing to you folks.

Oh, by the way I did join IAP back in 2002 when I started turning pens. When I recently rejoined I had to use a new login and P/W since I did not remember what my original ones were and my email address had also changed.

Thanks to everyone for the tons of information you have on the IAP site.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Steve Busey

Welcome (back), Mike! Glad you're having a chance to dust off your penmaking skills.

Hope to see you at the IAP SE Chapter meeting at the Woodcraft in Alpharetta on June 20th.

Fred

Welcome to the Forum. By all means get to the gathering hole over at Woodcraft. It is a little drive from Cumming down to Holcomb Road and go left back over Hwy 400 for about three or so miles. IF you cross the mighty Chatachoohee you have gone about 1/2 mile to far. We were back up the hill on the right side as you went by. We will be on the left as you come back up the hill you just went down. Look for the sign for STEIN FURNITURE.

The meeting, er, showdown starts about 0900 and ends at, well, whenever the coffe is eat and the doughnuts are drunk up! I highly recommend getting there early to get the fresh stuff!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome Mike.

Although you know most of the following information - I am including the link to a PDF file that goes over many aspects of pen turning from finish - to pens - to tools - to methods etc. It is not in detail but a good overview for pen turning.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

Also included below is a link to a new post that gives some information that people wished they had known earlier in pen turning. Some good information by those that make pens.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Welcome back, Mike. I hope your health stays better and you get back into pen turning. Yes, things have definitely changed for the better over the last few years!

watchman7

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the welcome! Even got one from South Africa. I will look forward to meeting some of you on June 20th at the Alpharetta Woodcraft. I used to buy emergency supplies there.

Mike G

Top Bottom