Greetings from Emporia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldavis7669

Hi I'm originally from the mountains of NC but I know live in Kansas. I will getting my first lathe on Sat April 10th 2021 and cant wait to try making my first pen. I look forward to any help or advice anyone has and seeing the projects that others make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

Welcome to the forum, Larry.
Check out the library for all you need to know to get started, and ask questions.

Alan

leehljp

Member Liaison
Don't know if you remember the Byrd's song "Turn Turn Turn" but my advice is to do just that! šŸ˜ After you make three or four pens, get a piece of 2x4 and made 8 or10 blanks from that and practice drilling, practice turning to a particular size, get the feel of the tool of your choice, get the feel of the wood with the tool, practice sanding and get the feel of sanding while the blank is turning. Waste a small bottle of CA learning to apply it and sand it.

That will give you more experience that 20 pens. Oh and buy and use a good set of calipers. Measure the nib end, center band and clip end. write those numbers down. Turn to size by checking with the calipers to match the size of the fittings. Don't rely on the bushings for sizing.

Use SHARP tools. Learn how to sharpen your tools and sharpen them regularly, OR use a tool with carbide inserts if you are unfamiliar with sharpening. Carbide inserts are replaceable and they stay sharp longer than HSS tools. (But for those skilled, HSS can be honed a bit finer than carbide.)

A link that is old but still relevant:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/

howsitwork

Welcome from the UK

Follow Hanks advice above and you will get a good grounding in pen making. You can also enjoy practicing cuts on your new lathe too.

KenB259

Hi I'm originally from the mountains of NC but I know live in Kansas. I will getting my first lathe on Sat April 10th 2021 and cant wait to try making my first pen. I look forward to any help or advice anyone has and seeing the projects that others make
Welcome. What lathe are you getting?

ldavis7669

Don't know if you remember the Byrd's song "Turn Turn Turn" but my advice is to do just that! šŸ˜ After you make three or four pens, get a piece of 2x4 and made 8 or10 blanks from that and practice drilling, practice turning to a particular size, get the feel of the tool of your choice, get the feel of the wood with the tool, practice sanding and get the feel of sanding while the blank is turning. Waste a small bottle of CA learning to apply it and sand it.

That will give you more experience that 20 pens. Oh and buy and use a good set of calipers. Measure the nib end, center band and clip end. write those numbers down. Turn to size by checking with the calipers to match the size of the fittings. Don't rely on the bushings for sizing.

Use SHARP tools. Learn how to sharpen your tools and sharpen them regularly, OR use a tool with carbide inserts if you are unfamiliar with sharpening. Carbide inserts are replaceable and they stay sharp longer than HSS tools. (But for those skilled, HSS can be honed a bit finer than carbide.)

A link that is old but still relevant:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/if-i-had-known-earlier-46654/
Thanks for all the great advice I have been practicing with turning small spendles and that has been great hope to turn first pen tommorow

Top Bottom