Greetings from Corpus Christi TX

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

atomic ray

Howdy all!

Longtime wood worker recently retired from 21yrs of active duty military. I am looking at several potential ways to apply my experience as well as pursue new avenues...my resin background has lead me here...I am most interested in making unique materials with wood, pecan/walnut/etc., crushed materials, laminates, and others to include resin back filling.

I am poring through the forums looking at all the quality work being done and it seems I am in the right state to get started!

Hopefully the locals, if any, here in Corpus will come forward soon...I could use some hands on advice.

Have a great weekend all!

Raymond

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

Welcome Raymond,

Would love to see some of your castings. Not familiar with resin back filing? You've caught my interest and I just ordered a gallon of Silmar 41 poly resin.

atomic ray

Thanks for the welcome all!

I have been digging through the forums and there are so many interesting applications already in line...I am quite inspired and excited to get my shop in order.

I have rented a house with a separated garage to live in until I get the main house ready to move the family into. Once the main house is done I will then convert the rental into my workshop and studio apartment.

Currently I am working on a series of mixed media sculptures...unrelated to wood working or pen turning...vacuum tube based rayguns, but they pay the bills and are fun. Once I finish up the remaining orders then I will start with my new pours...I am collecting my materials...and I have some weird ones as well as normal but hopefully not commonly used.

I come from an industrial background with electrical, mechanical, fabrication, electronics, and control systems. So a fair amount of my hands on has been with hard materials...metals, ceramics, glass, etc..

My wood side started in the late 1980's working with several artisans within the restoration fields...classic cane weaving, repairing termite damage to 150+yr old furniture, etc.. Then into the early '90s working with turned chess pieces and laminating veneers into art boards. But the majority of the work was piece by piece between my sculpture work, while I was serving in the military.

I am tracking down the better pieces to get more pictures...my portfolios did not survive the ex-wife...I understand the fire was spectacular...she wracked up $50k in credit card use and then burned my stuff to say she was sorry...what can you say to that, except that medication should be taken on a consistent basis.

I do have a standing order for a couple hundred wands, but they are not due until Nov-Dec so I have time.

My interest in this pen turning venue is the materials first, then specialized applications like lornettes. Once I get my current projects under control I am looking forward to knocking out some pens, pencils, key chains, and letter openers.

I do have a customer who desires custom made knife scales...do any of ya'll work within this industry?

Thanks again all.

PS
Is there a point of contact here in Corpus within this community? I see there is a turning group, but I have not had any luck contacting them as of yet....crud, I just saw that Alex Chapa is from Corpus! Yah!

Last edited:

atomic ray

Welcome Raymond,

Would love to see some of your castings. Not familiar with resin back filing? You've caught my interest and I just ordered a gallon of Silmar 41 poly resin.

I am sure it is just a matter of my terminology not matching the pen turners :eek:

Back filling is a term used when replacing voids with a liquid rather than a semi-solid...resin vs putty.

Back fill comes from my days with lost wax casting...the wax is filling the void, and the hot metal is "back filled" replacing the wax with hot or liquid metal, pushing out the wax, becoming plastic, then solid.

Back filling with wood is being done by many of the members within the site already...a wormy wood or a deep burl, this presents a void, when put into a mold or flat cast the stabilizing resin back fills the voids.

Sorry for the confusion :biggrin:

Raymond

surveyzo

Howdy Raymond, Welcome to IAP. I don't live in Corpus, but I'm just down the road. There are a few pen turners in the area. We've been talking about starting a local chapter but, it hasn't gone very far.

Alonzo

atomic ray

Howdy Raymond, Welcome to IAP. I don't live in Corpus, but I'm just down the road. There are a few pen turners in the area. We've been talking about starting a local chapter but, it hasn't gone very far.

Alonzo

What is required to establish a chapter? A certain number of members.

Raymond

surveyzo

I believe we would have to meet at least once a year and at least 5 members. I've talked to a few turners around here and came up w/ 6 now w/ you it would be 7. I'll try and get things fired up again.

atomic ray

I believe we would have to meet at least once a year and at least 5 members. I've talked to a few turners around here and came up w/ 6 now w/ you it would be 7. I'll try and get things fired up again.

Ok, that sounds like a plan. I have been involved with dozens of setups for clubs, conventions, and private organizations so I do have a bit of insight in this matter.

Perhaps we should set up a meeting first...to establish a foothold on intent :biggrin:

If it requires 5 members and a meeting, if we have the meeting up front and the five+ members show up...then there is no question we would have a chapter! Ha ha!

Where to meet?

My shop is just dust, boxes, and materials so it is right out.

I personally would rather meet at a shop rather than a library, church, or other type public place.

Maybe at a wood supplier to review products?

I have a local guy with a nice setup...a decent workshop and loads of interesting supplies.

Something like that, perhaps?

Do one of the noted 7 members have a decent sized shop?

If I did not mention it yet, I have been a chef since 1990 and would be more than happy to handle the food aspect.

Sounds like a plan :bananen_smilies008:

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome Raymond! Sounds like you're just jumpin' in with both feet right off. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your work.

I'm not sure if you need these, but thought they'd be a good reference for you.

This link is - a PDF document on the acronyms used here on the IAP site. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.
http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

This link has postings by different pen turners on what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

atomic ray

Thanks for the information CSue!

I am looking it all over for the tasty bits.

And yes that tends to be my MO...I have a brain thing, once I get a tickle I must itch...in a trade/skill issue, I become somewhat obsessed until the creative and difficult process is reduced to a simple series of steps.

So this aspect of taking familiar skills in woodworking, resin casting, and finishing finds me at a good place...retired, and no longer seeking full time employment (I consult and contract out for boat/ship service-mech/elec/fabr/and electronics)...so I think there are enough steps that will engage my big brain for some time
:bananen_smilies104:

Thanks again for the vote of interest and support!

Willee

Raymond, You are welcome to visit my humble man cave here in Corpus Christi where I make pool cues and pens.
I will gladly help anyone that has defended our country like yourself.
You are welcome also to use any of the equipment here.

Call or stop by sometime and lets talk pen turning.

Willee
1325 nile dr.
361-563-1303

atomic ray

Thanks for the invite and welcome Willee!

Are you lined up to join the Coast Bend chapter of IAP?

I will take you up on it this week...I will call first and setup a good time/date.

Thanks again!

Raymond

Top Bottom