Green Stripes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Diamond Knurl in antique silver. Holly and stabilized maple burl that was dyed green. This time I added some of the striped pattern to the upper barrel and also added a custom finial.

Attachments

• IMG_3863.jpeg
    IMG_3863.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_3864.jpeg
    IMG_3864.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3867.jpeg
    IMG_3867.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3866.jpeg
    IMG_3866.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 200
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Outstanding! The cap is incredibly well matched to the body. I love it. I think that combination would also work well with the red/purple wood you showed us last week. Really nice.

KMCloonan

I couldn't edit my response above, so I'll add there, that I did not notice the finial as I was too absorbed in the main pen. The finial is a work of art all by itself.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Ken. I love the main blank section, the accent end caps and the finial is superb. Not many turners devote the learning curve/attention to do segmented finials; I find them to be particularly appealing. Maybe not enough price upgrade to make it worth the effort, but boy does it add a special element for those that appreciate it. I love what you have done! 👍 👍 👍 👍 👍

KenB259

Outstanding! The cap is incredibly well matched to the body. I love it. I think that combination would also work well with the red/purple wood you showed us last week. Really nice.
I do have the same blank in the red maple as well as another finial. It's a fun blank to make.

sorcerertd

Wow! That really comes together with the cap this way (compared to the previous one) and the finial tops it off nicely (pun intended 😁). You've got my wheels turning regarding finials. (Ah, geez. That one wasn't intended, but I'll own it.)

Your casting work was great, but I'm glad to see you doing more of your trademark, precision segmenting. It's inspiring.

GaryMGg

Ken

Obviously, you don't have to answer but I'm curious; there are two main ways I can think of making this:
1. Segment stripes into a square blank, crosscut, and glue back together
(Technically, it's more of an inlay than segments but it's like a celtic knot in that sense)
Or
2. Segment stripes using an indexed lathe head, drill, crosscut and glue back together on tubes.

The former is easier than the latter.

Either of these at play here?

It's a stunning piece because there's no discernible misalignment which makes it all the more impressive.

KenB259

Ken

Obviously, you don't have to answer but I'm curious; there are two main ways I can think of making this:
1. Segment stripes into a square blank, crosscut, and glue back together
(Technically, it's more of an inlay than segments but it's like a celtic knot in that sense)
Or
2. Segment stripes using an indexed lathe head, drill, crosscut and glue back together on tubes.

The former is easier than the latter.

Either of these at play here?

It's a stunning piece because there's no discernible misalignment which makes it all the more impressive.
I made a tablesaw jig that I use to cut slots into a square blank, not quite halfway through, four of them with it laying flat and 4 rotated 90 degrees, corner to corner. I then just glue in the segmented strips. I don't have to worry about alignment with this method. Cutting the blank completely in half would work, but probably be problematic when it came to the corner to corner cut and would make alignment a little more challenging. Look close at the finial and you can see how it was cut. The finial is just a slice from the blank. I think also, you could do this in four cuts if you cut almost all the way through, like a Celtic knot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom