Green Marble

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnGreco

JohnGreco

Hey folks, been a while since I posted but I wanted to share one I'll have with me down in DC. I found a great chunk of 'Antique Verde' green marble and sliced a few pieces off to make this. I love the quartz vein running through the body and will be very sad to see this one go. Thanks for looking, I hope you are all doing well :)

Attachments

• GW Green Marble FP 2a.jpg
    GW Green Marble FP 2a.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 417
  • GW Green Marble FP 3.jpg
    GW Green Marble FP 3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 397
  • GW Green Marble FP 1.jpg
    GW Green Marble FP 1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 304
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi John. Great to see you post! You need to visit and inspire us more often!

Beautiful pen! I love the subdued colors, very excellent. Hope all is well with you!

Be well, Mark

gebx

John, Is that a natural marble? What kind of tools are you using to turn marble? I have access to marble remnants but marble is so hard. Would love to be able to turn marble pens with some of the pieces I have available. Any advice?

magpens

Love that pen !!!!! .. I too would like to know what tools you used, please.

J Michael

Add me to the "how the heck did you do that" group. I've got a very special piece of marble I would love to do something with other than keep moving it around the shop and looking at it from time to time.

JohnGreco

Thanks folks :) Yes this was actual marble, not marble-looking resin. Some of my stone technique is outlined in the IAP collection Mark has put together, but the best suggestion I have is try try try. What works for me may not work best for you; it took me months of practice (and breaking stone) to figure it out.

vtgaryw

Gorgeous! What is that kit it's on? I like the threads - very different from most kits of that type.

-gary

vtgaryw

Gorgeous! What is that kit it's on? I like the threads - very different from most kits of that type.

-gary

magpens

John, would you be able to state the exact URL for the highlight, please. I searched the library for "stone" without getting any info on your stone technique. Thanks.

Thanks folks :) Yes this was actual marble, not marble-looking resin. Some of my stone technique is outlined in the IAP collection Mark has put together, but the best suggestion I have is try try try. What works for me may not work best for you; it took me months of practice (and breaking stone) to figure it out.

stonepecker

Beautiful pen and a great job on the finish.

Being a 'stone worker'.......I can tell just how much work you put into this.

Last edited:

magpens

Congratulations on your Front Page appearance, John !!! Well deserved recognition for your workmanship and art !!

Skie_M

John, would you be able to state the exact URL for the highlight, please. I searched the library for "stone" without getting any info on your stone technique. Thanks.

IAP Collection Pen#1 description:

Blanks were drilled with HSS, Cobalt Bits and Masonry Bits (purchased from England). HSS bits were sharpened every 3/8". Turning was done with Carbide Tools, using 1 (4 sided) bit per blank = 2 bits per pen. Rough turning was begun at 150 RPM, Final turning between 600-800 RPM
1_IAP-1.jpg

There's nothing about turning stone in the IAP library. Just a few images of them (alabaster and soapstone) in the Alternative Materials documents. Perhaps we can address that issue together, as I start down the long and winding road to creating a masterpiece like yours? :)

TurtleTom

I've carved some marble, and I know the location it came from is most important as the crystals making up the marble vary in cut ability. First rule is pick it up and tap with a hammer, if it doesn't ring but thuds, throw it away.

Skie_M

I've carved some marble, and I know the location it came from is most important as the crystals making up the marble vary in cut ability. First rule is pick it up and tap with a hammer, if it doesn't ring but thuds, throw it away.

I'm aware that sound waves (vibrations) travel at varying speeds through rocks and other materials, as was kind of shown in the movie "The Core". So, what you're doing when you tap the chunk of rock with the hammer is to see if there is anything that breaks the continuity of the rock crystals, like internal fractures or inclusions of other materials that absorb sound from the interface between the differing materials or air space. This is an excellent tip to remember. I'm assuming that this also applies to soapstone, alabaster, and granite?

Top Bottom