Great Day At Woodcraft! – Pen Contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Triple Crown

Triple Crown

Our local Woodcraft had a pen contest today. I entered my Japanese postage stamps pen in the expert category and my son entered his Artist's pencil in the Novice category. We got to see some great pens and talk to other pen turners and even met another IAP member (happydadto5) and his son! :)

We also did very well. My son's pencil came in first place:good:in novice and my pen also came in first in expert! :biggrin: Wow! Our prizes are incredible too! A Delta nova G3-D Reversible Woodturning Chuck! And a $50 Gift Card! :biggrin: Then, our names were put in the bin along with the winner from the Experienced category (1-2 Years pen turning) and the winner from the People's Choice category for a drawing for the Grand Prize. Well, our chances were pretty good, and I was the lucky winner of the drawing. :biggrin: So we also came home with a brand new lathe! (General International 25-100 M1 Maxi-Lathe) :biggrin::):biggrin::):biggrin:

Pictures of my son's pencil:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/sons-artists-pencil-94344/

Pictures of my Japanese postage stamps pen:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/first-postage-stamp-pen-94820/

Also in the contest was this beautiful pen by happydadto5's son. I knew when I saw it that I recognized it from IAP. It's a really great pen!! :good:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/rubiks-cube-pen-100343/

I love Woodcraft and the people that work there are always great to talk to and get help from. I like meandering through the store and taking different classes. I learned how to make pens there. This was the first pen contest (I think) that they've had. Thanks Woodcraft for a super day!:good::good::good::):):)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

Wow that is kid the haul for a pen contest. Really cool. Very nice work as well. Yours and your son's pens look great.

Sataro

Congratulations on your winnings. Your son did a great job on his artist pen. I like the blank he chose. Your stamp pen looks great also.

Charlie_W

Congratulations to you and your son Triple Crown. I participated at the Leesburg store and enjoyed as well visiting with other pen turners and seeing all the great pens. The store staff is a great group.
I was also a winner. i will try to get some pics up soon.
Lot's of fun!

flyitfast

Great pen and pencil. Definitely worthy winners. :good:
Congratulations to you and your son!!

Woodcraft had a pen contest here in San Antonio and I won a $50 gift certificate. Guess we will have to work on them for bigger and better prizes!!! :confused::biggrin:

Enjoy your new lathe.
gordon

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Here are my Woodcraft contest pics. The first is a Ultra Cigar with a red acrylic blank. Second, a Toni Twist ballpoint closed end in Walnut from our family room floor. Third, A Triton roller ball with beautiful Marla paper blanks. I had two winners!
Prizes were a pack of Ivory wood blanks and an Acrylic buffing kit from Barry Gross.
Very cool and as I said before, a lot of fun seeing others entries and excellent work as well as getting ideas, visiting with others and thanks to Woodcraft for putting forth the time expense and effort to recognize their pen turning customers.

Attachments

• WC pic1.jpg
    WC pic1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 88
  • WC pic2.jpg
    WC pic2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 86
  • WC pic3.jpg
    WC pic3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 98
  • WCpic4.jpg
    WCpic4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 87
  • WC pic5.jpg
    WC pic5.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 89

Triple Crown

Thank you!

Hi all!

Thank you for your kind words and congratulations! My reply is a couple days late late because I have not had an opportunity for a leisure moment at computer since I posted about the contest. Very crazy week at work...

We really were quite lucky with the amount and value of the prizes. It was a really fun time too!

Charlie - awesome pens! I'm glad that you and aerosupra had fun too! I need to check out the Leesburg Woodcraft sometime! Do you guys ever to to the Springfield store?

I mentioned that happydadto5's son's pen was quite cool with the Rubik's Cube concept, but I had also wanted to say how his (happydad's) pen was really great too! It is made from several different wood species as polka dotted inlays! Very artistic! I wish I got a good picture of it to share.

I'm very grateful that my son likes to do these type of things with me. The penmaking has really been my hobby mostly, but he does participate down in the shop with me at times. He looks at and critiques all of my creations though! Getting the new lathe has spurred him on to do some more. So far though all we have been able to do is get the unopened box into the basement. Maybe this weekend we can get some time to set it up!

Thanks again for looking...! I made some new friends via this post! Greg

SDB777

Congrats! I remember that pen, gave me more inspiration to keep doing stamp blanks. You certainly had the vehicle full for the ride home!!

Scott (well done for you guys) B

Top Bottom