Grain Alignment Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

Should the grains of the wood be aligned when the twist pen is closed,or when it's open?

I've always done it so they are lined up when closed,but tonight I was looking at the pens in the PSI catalog,and all the ones I saw had the grains lined up with the pen twisted open.

Gosh,I'll feel pretty stupid if all of the pens I've made are assembled wrong.......so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks for any feedback,

Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Steve, that is a good question, one that I have pondered for a while. Hopefully someone smarter than I will have the answer for us both.
Charles

keithlong

I am not an expert by any means, I just always feel that the pen is seen more in the closed position than in the opened position. When in the opened position, most of the time it is in someone's hand. Just my thoughts.

its_virgil

Since a pen is closed for more time than it is open the grain should be aligned when the pen is closed. The PSI catalog pictures have the pens open and the grain aligned because it makes a better picture. I really suppose it doesn't matter...a point of personal preference
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Should the grains of the wood be aligned when the twist pen is closed,or when it's open?

I've always done it so they are lined up when closed,but tonight I was looking at the pens in the PSI catalog,and all the ones I saw had the grains lined up with the pen twisted open.

Gosh,I'll feel pretty stupid if all of the pens I've made are assembled wrong.......so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks for any feedback,

Steve

robutacion

Thanks for any feedback,

Steve

Hi Steve,

As far as I'm concern, ain't just a thing as a "rule" for where the alignemt should be (open or closed pen)...!

We all know that is impossible to have it align both ways so, is up top each individual pen maker to make that decision, period...!:)

Some "customers" will have their own preferences also and if that detail is sufficient to either make the purchase or not, it all depend if your decision on alignemt position/orientation, matches his/hers, or not...!:wink:

You can always make them both ways and see what is most efficient on the sales or, simple add this question to your normal conversation with the customers, "how do you prefer the wood alignemt on your pens, in the open or closed position, Sir/Madam...??? :biggrin:

The answer may drive you "nuts" but at least you know what your customer prefer when they order or wish to buy a pen(s) from you...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Mark

Yeah, I don't think there is a right or wrong. My daily driver is lined up when open, because no one see's it in my pocket (closed). Personal preference is all.

ossaguy

Oh good.......I was having a Maalox Moment when I saw all the pens in the catalog.I've been working on getting the grains lined up nice,trying to position the tune as close as possable to the end on the band-end,just barely needing any barrel trimming on that end.

Thanks,
Steve

1080Wayne

Steve

Why not just show your customer how to adjust it , and explain that a twist pen can be grain oriented either open or closed . Then he can adjust it whenever it is needed - which it will at some point , as that is the nature of a twist pen .

Wayne

jtrusselle

Closed for display unless the pen is open for display. How's that for a straight answer? I align mine closed but as Wayne recommends, I always walk pen recipients through the pen basics of cartridge replacement, grain alignment and the as long as I'm alive warrantee.

randyrls

Since a pen is closed for more time than it is open the grain should be aligned when the pen is closed. The PSI catalog pictures have the pens open and the grain aligned because it makes a better picture. I really suppose it doesn't matter...a point of personal preference
Don; I tend to agree with you. The PSI photos are staged to show the pen nib or tip. I match the grain in closed position, but it should be possible to grain match in both open and closed positions.

chrisk

Grain alignment with pen closed... always.

A related question to the experts. With Fountain pens and Rollerballs, how do you manage thread twisting and grain alignment?

Top Bottom