Grafting drill bit.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Does anyone happen to have one of Lee Valley's grafting drill bits that they would be willing to sell? It was made to be used with a pencil sharpener, the bit drills a hole that is the size and shape of a sharpened pencil. You drill a hole in the tree and then use a regular pencil sharpener to sharpen the end of the grafted twig. That was one of the things stolen from my lab at the blind center during the pandemic. I use it to make pen stands, because it is just the right size and shape for the nib on a ballpoint pen. Unfortunately Lee Valley no longer carries them.

0825170924c.jpg

This one was made by one of my blind turners.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I wonder if the bit you had was made for grafting, or just used for grafting?

There are several suppliers who offer tapered drill bits that might do what you want. I just measured a random pencil in the jar in our kitchen - about 1/4" across the flats, and 9/32" across the hex corners. Here's a drill bit example from the McFeely's web site that is 1/4" in diameter. Apparently, these are made for drilling pilot holes for wood screws in applications where its important that the hole conform to the shape of the screw.

1675796816317.png

Highland Woodworking and Rockler also carry them, but I couldn't find any with a shank diameter larger than 1/4".

Curly

LV originally made the bit for plugging screw holes and it came with 10 or 12 leadless pencils to plug the hole with. You sharpen the wood in a pencil sharpener and plug the hole with it. The hole in the middle where the graphite would have been was the pilot hole for the new screw.

Either one of their customers or their gardening staff found they were good for grafting tree so they sold them for that too in the gardening catalogs.

Sorry Sharon. I have one but use it just enough to want to keep it.

monophoto

LV originally made the bit for plugging screw holes and it came with 10 or 12 leadless pencils to plug the hole with. You sharpen the wood in a pencil sharpener and plug the hole with it. The hole in the middle where the graphite would have been was the pilot hole for the new screw.

Either one of their customers or their gardening staff found they were good for grafting tree so they sold them for that too in the gardening catalogs.

Pete's explanation makes a lot of sense - another example of a technique that craftsmen had been using for centuries, and then someone got the bright idea to make a special tool for the job. Not necessarily a better way, just one more tool for tool junkies like us to buy!

However, I do have one issue with Pete's explanation. Pencils are normally made of cedar which is pretty soft, and plugs made from a pencil would be end-grain. If it were my choice, I would probably prefer to make the plug from a stronger timber such as oak or ash, or else the same wood used for the furniture so that it would blend in better, and make it in face grain so that the screw threads hold better.

Curly

Darn it Louie. I was just about to go have a nap and I see your post so I had to prove what I said of course. So here is the old package with the leadless pencils.

IMG_5850.jpg

A close up of the hole in one of the pencils. Excuse the hairy knuckles and dry skin, winter, you know how it is.

IMG_5852.jpg

Lastly a shot of the back with the instructions. I usually use birch dowels. That's why I have most of the original "plugs". You could use whatever you prefer but this is how they came. I'd sure love to see a return to those prices again.

IMG_5853.jpg

Pete

Adding. My apologies for the thread hijack Sharon.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Darn it Louie. I was just about to go have a nap and I see your post so I had to prove what I said of course. So here is the old package with the leadless pencils.

View attachment 348516

A close up of the hole in one of the pencils. Excuse the hairy knuckles and dry skin, winter, you know how it is.

View attachment 348517

Lastly a shot of the back with the instructions. I usually use birch dowels. That's why I have most of the original "plugs". You could use whatever you prefer but this is how they came. I'd sure love to see a return to those prices again.

View attachment 348518

Pete

Adding. My apologies for the thread hijack Sharon.
That's it, alright!

Robbie

Does anyone happen to have one of Lee Valley's grafting drill bits that they would be willing to sell? It was made to be used with a pencil sharpener, the bit drills a hole that is the size and shape of a sharpened pencil. You drill a hole in the tree and then use a regular pencil sharpener to sharpen the end of the grafted twig. That was one of the things stolen from my lab at the blind center during the pandemic. I use it to make pen stands, because it is just the right size and shape for the nib on a ballpoint pen. Unfortunately Lee Valley no longer carries them.

View attachment 348502

This one was made by one of my blind turners.
Look at Veritas small tapered reamer, I think this may fit your needs.

sbwertz

The difference is that the Lee Valley ones are the exact same taper as a ballpoint pen nib so there is a snug fit and the pen doesn't wobble around in the hole like it does if the taper is not the same. I actually dug around in my shop and discovered I had a bit. I thought I took my bit to the center, but apparently I ordered a second one for down there. I'll just keep it in my purse and carry it back and forth to the center so I can use it both places.

Top Bottom