Graduation Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska! I made these as gifts to the graduating High School Seniors from our Church. They were made using Elegant Monarch kits with Cross Bands from The Classic Nib and Bethlehem Olive wood that I got from a supplier in Israel. (Before retiring I traveled to Israel about once a year to visit my engineering team in our Beer Sheva manufacturing plant).

Personally, I prefer the pens that have both an upper and lower blank, but other than adding a cross clip to a slimline or using the PSI Faith Hope & Love kits (which are too ornate for my taste) there are few options. Also, these are twice as fast to build in batch mode since I can fit two blanks at once on my mandrel for turning, sanding, finishing, etc. The wood was very easy to turn and seemed to take a finish well. I really like the contrast from the dark streaks that run through it. Other than a few being a little fat I think they turned out OK.

Regards,
Dave (egnald)

IMG_0415 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

David, they look fantastic, you did a great job of making so many of the same design/blank. Was it not a bit boring, making that many identical?

Len

egnald

David, they look fantastic, you did a great job of making so many of the same design/blank. Was it not a bit boring, making that many identical?

Len

Len, Yes, it did get to be a bit boring before I finished - I think that's why some wound up being a little fatter than I like - I started to take less care when turning - just to get them done. If it's going to become something annual, I probably should make a couple off and on throughout the year rather than letting them become a chore at graduation time.

great work David - those are great looking pens. I'm sure they appreciated the effort as well. I have been thinking of something along this line for my church staff but I wasn't aware of the cross bands. Nice touch.

WriteON

Len, Yes, it did get to be a bit boring before I finished - I think that's why some wound up being a little fatter than I like - I started to take less care when turning - just to get them done. If it's going to become something annual, I probably should make a couple off and on throughout the year rather than letting them become a chore at graduation time.
Nothing wrong with fat pens. They have their special look. All look great.

Top Bottom