Gouge identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I'm attaching a few pictures of a gouge. Nothing special to most people, it is to me though. It was my dad's, at least 40 years old. It was one of the tools that I learned turning with, it's still my favorite gouge to use. It's an old craftsman HSS. I would love to get a couple more, maybe different sizes. The one in the picture is 3/4 inches across it. The problem, I haven't been able to find any new gouge with this flat profile. Does anyone know where gouges with this profile can be bought?
IMG_0203.JPG
IMG_0204.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

donstephan

Each manufacturerlikely makes slightly different shapes, so a continental gouge from Sorby and one from Packard may have slightly different cross sections. The tang, if a tool made today, would suggest it is some version of a spindle roughing gouge, but that may not have been as reliable an indicator 40+ years ago. And of course it could have been made as a carving chisel. Regardless, based on the length of the flute there would seem to be a long life remaining for the tool.

KenB259

Each manufacturerlikely makes slightly different shapes, so a continental gouge from Sorby and one from Packard may have slightly different cross sections. The tang, if a tool made today, would suggest it is some version of a spindle roughing gouge, but that may not have been as reliable an indicator 40+ years ago. And of course it could have been made as a carving chisel. Regardless, based on the length of the flute there would seem to be a long life remaining for the tool.
Yes there's lots of life left there, I was hoping to get something like it, in different sizes. This old gouge keeps it's sharpness better than any tool I own.

duncsuss

I was hoping to get something like it, in different sizes. This old gouge keeps it's sharpness better than any tool I own.
I have 2 of them (and several other Craftsman turning tools from the same product line) but I've never seen any different sizes for this profile.

KenB259

Found one at my local wood store tonight, that was just able to re open. BUT, they have a price on it of 90 dollars and it's the exact same size I have. It's a Sorby 840H model. The one I seen tonight has the exact same low profile. I did not buy it. I probably would have, had it been a different size than I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dieseldoc

I found a craftsman here from one of my wood turning friends, came from his dad stash that he is not using. Will check it out.
Stay tuned.

Top Bottom