Got my late friends old lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So my former neighbors were and still are great friends. My friend Bill passed away back in august and his wife wanted me to have his old craftsman lathe. He hadn't used it in years and I was finally able to pick it up last wknd when my wife and I visited her. It was pretty rough looking when I brought it home but I tore it apart and cleaned everything up. Runs great also. I think these were made in 1999? Just thought I'd share.

Attachments

• Bills Lathe.jpg
    Bills Lathe.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 316
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David350

I love new tools as much as the next person, but there is something very satisfying in getting more mileage out of an older tool. One of my favorites is my Shopsmith that my dad bought the year I was born (1959). I use it regularly in my pen and cutting board projects. I'm looking forward to passing it on to a nephew someday.

I'm sure this lathe will remind you of fond memories of your friend everytime you use it just as my Shopsmith does of my dad. Enjoy your new (old) tool and the memories...

Talltim

I had an old craftsman lathe just like that. In fact I still have parts of it in the basement. And the skew that came with it is one of our most used tools. Mine MT1 which was a little awkward when I decided to upgrade to our jet lathe.

You can have a lot of fun on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My respects for Bill, but I suspect he will be smiling as this lathe gets a few more spins in.

Use it with good memories.

A nice gift that will remind you of your friend every time you use it. If that's a MT1 I just happen to have an unused mandrel saver that was sent to me by mistake not once but twice. I gave up on sending it back as shipping it a second time just wasn't worth it to me. I know many of us don't use a mandrel but if you do I'll ship it to you free of charge and find another paper weight. At least it will get some use.

bsshog40

A nice gift that will remind you of your friend every time you use it. If that's a MT1 I just happen to have an unused mandrel saver that was sent to me by mistake not once but twice. I gave up on sending it back as shipping it a second time just wasn't worth it to me. I know many of us don't use a mandrel but if you do I'll ship it to you free of charge and find another paper weight. At least it will get some use.
That would be awesome Jay! It has the head and tailstock dead centers and a 3" faceplate. Thought that was cool. I'll PM you!

Top Bottom